Chapter 3

Grayson started school that Monday and I was 10 miles past relieved. 

I finally had a day to myself to start job hunting.

I was sitting at the Coffee table we brought from the house looking through the job section.Everything here required me too work at least 13 hours a day.With Grayson starting school and finally getting on our feet after my parents passed I didn't think that was nearly possible.

Finally I saw an opening for a waitress and Suzie's Diner just four blocks down from our apartment.It was perfect since I had worked as a waitress one summer at my old town when I was done with high-school.

That afternoon, I left for the diner. I had 2 hrs before Grayson got home so I had to hurry.I got to the diner and immediately questioned why I hadn't;t come here before.It was a quiet little diner.It had baby blue painted walls and vintage photo's hung all over them.I then realised that the grey-haired lady behind the counter must be Ms.Suzie.

"Hi,My name is Sadie Peters and I'm aware that there is a job opening here?"I said trying to look and sound and job-worthy as I could. Ms.Suzie peeked up from her bright red glasses and gave me a disapproving look. "Yeah,whats that gotta do with you city girl?" she asked me with a menacing tone to her voice."Umm..well I was hoping I could apply?" I said timidly as I realised that this lady definitely didn't like me. She nodded her head to a stack of papers on the counter.I walked over to it, grabbed one and sat down filling it out.

When I was finished, I handed it in and walked out of the diner certain that I wouldn't get the job.I got to Grayson's school just in time for the bell. We talked about his day and eventually had dinner and went to sleep.

The next day I got a call from Ms.Suzie saying that since I had the most qualifications for the job and that I would be starting the next day.I was so excited to finally have something going right.

The next day I pulled my long brown hair into a bun and looked at myself in the mirror. I smiled to myself as I saw my dad's bright green eyes and my mom's thin pink lips.After Grayson left for school I went down the diner.

Ms.Suzie greeted me with a hostile expression. "They're tables that need busting and pots that need scrubbing so chop-chop city girl!" she said to me while shoving an apron into my hands. I went right along and did and I was told without complaint as this was only my first day. At noon Ms.Suzie came and told me that there was a big group of people and she needed a waitress.

When I approached the group I put on my best smile and asked "Hi, My name's Sadie and I 'll be your waitress for today,what would you like to have". 

"Sadie, a pretty name for a pretty girl" one of the guys said while winking at me.I blushed slightly but composed myself long enough to get the orders of every one else at the table. Everyone at the table was a football player as I could tell by there matching t-shirts.

"So,Sadie..what's a pretty girl like you doing in a place like this" another one of the football players asked as I blushed a deeper shade of red.

"Aw look,little Sadie's blushing" another one said, obviously amused. 

I was starting to get a bit annoyed when one of them said "Hey Sadie, did mommy and daddy cut you off so you had to work in this dump?" 

This comment shocked me the most.

I felt tears prickling my eyes as I looked down at my notepad.

"Yes,because they're dead" I said in a quiet voice.

"Sorry sweet cheeks,didn't quite catch that."

"I said that they're dead" I said loudly.

This caused the entire table to look at me with pity and some with shock.

If it's one thing I hate more than anything is pity.

I then continued my services as normal and just as they were about to leave I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry about my asshole brother" one of the boys said to me when the others had walked off.

He was smaller than the rest of them but still bigger than me.He had chocolate brown hair and striking blue eyes.

"I'm Christian by the way" he said sticking out a hand.

I didn't know what to do so I just looked at it like it was diseased or something.

He quickly put it down before saying "Well guess I'll be seeing you around Sadie" and then flashing me a smile.

I looked at his retreating figure as I cleaned up the table.

That night, after Grayson came home from school we once again ate dinner and went to bed.

I lay in bed thinking about everything that was going on in my life and lastly about those blue eyes.