Chapter 2: The competition

Sujal for others was a shy and an innocent boy who never talks much bit is one of the toppers. But the real Sujal was only seen by his three friends, and most by Naina.

To his two friends, he used to talk fair enough, he was mischievous, he was very different from what everyone else used to think of him.

To Naina, he was a non-stop talker, once he started he never stopped! He was very mischievous, he was very naughty, he cared for everyone but liked to project as kf he didn't care, he was terrible at expressing his feelings, his eyes spoke more than his words.

Naina understood his eyes, his feelings, him on a whole. Naina was the only other person besides his mother who'd just look at him and understand what's wrong with him, he didn't need to explain anything to these two ladies. There were a few things that Naina understood more than Veena, why? Nobody knows, but Sujal knew he could always rely on Naina if he needed support. This was the sole reason why Sujal was more open to Naina than Piyush or Pratham.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It had been a month since they had joined the college. They all had settled into their classes, all the talking was done by Naina, Piyush and Pratham while Sujal was still the closed off one.

One Monday, Naina and Sujal were coming inside the campus when they say a poster for a competition.

Naina: Sujal, poetry competition hai, tum aao ge?

Sujal: Nahi Naina, tum jaao, mujhe poetry aati hi nahi hai! I can read and understand par jab khud likhna hota hai, baap re baap! Mujhse nahi hoga!

Naina: Kya yaar Sujal! It's okay, I won't force you! But ha, take the notes of the class okay, I'll do the competition!

Sujal: Theek hai! Par ha, mujhe woh poem sunni hai competition ke baad!

Naina: Tumhe nahi sunaungi toh aur kisko sunaungi? Mere parivaar mai toh sirf mai aur Naveen bhaiya hai na!

Sujal: Jaanta hu! Aur Naveen bhaiya toh abhi army mai hai! Matlab ab tumhe majbooran mujhe hi sunnana hoga!

Sujal joked and Naina hit him on his arm playfully. Naina entered her name for the competition. It was today itself, around 3:30 pm. Naina informed their lecturer beforehand and she was given OD (On Duty) and Naina went for the competition.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Naina went in there and saw how prepared everyone was. Naina also sat down with her pen and paper. The topic was given, "Friendship". Naina was overjoyed. She wrote down a beautiful poem keeping Sujal in mind. She wrote it and submitted the poem. She had to wait for 2 hours till the results were announced.

Sujal on the other hand, after finishing his college went home, freshened up, ate his food and took some snacks with him for Naina. He left once again for the college.
There till this time, the results were announced. Naina had won the first price. Naina came out with the price as well as her poem. She saw Sujal standing there, waiting for her. She ran towards him and showed him the price.

Sujal: Arre wah! Meri Nainu tum ne toh first price jeet liya! Issi khushi me, mai meri Nainu ke liye uska favorite meethai laya hu! Motichoor ke laddu aur jaate hue, hum dono gol gappe khayenge! Abhi ke liye ghar se tumhare liye mai snacks laya hu...

Sujal: Arre wah! Meri Nainu tum ne toh first price jeet liya! Issi khushi me, mai meri Nainu ke liye uska favorite meethai laya hu! Motichoor ke laddu aur jaate hue, hum dono gol gappe khayenge! Abhi ke liye ghar se tumhare liye mai snacks laya hu, woh khaa lene.

Naina: Sujal!! Itna sab karne ki kya zarurat thi? Mai ghar jaake kuch bana leti apne liye!

Sujal: Nahi! Not at all!! Aaj tum competition jeet ke aai ho nahi! Aaj toh mai tumhe khud khana nahi banane dunga! Ab chalo bhi!! Mujhe tumhara woh poem padna hai!

Naina: Accha theek hai!! Chalo!

They both headed inside and while Naina was eating Sujal read the poem.

Sujal: Arre wah Naina, yeh tumne kiske upar likha hai?

Naina: Sujal, tumhare upar likha hai! Tum mere best friend ho na? Toh, mai aur kispe likhungi?

Sujal: Naina..thank you..yeh bohot sundar hai..if you won't mind, I'll keep it..

Naina: mai tumhe hi dene wali thi! waise bhi tumpar hi toh likha hai maine!

They both hugged and then got down to eat gol gappa. They enjoyed their day together. In the end, Sujal came to Naina's house. Sujal sometimes used to think how Naina doesn't feel lonely in the house? After her parents demise, and her brother in the army, Naina used to live alone in this house.

Sujal: Naina, agar tumhe kabhi akela lagta hai, toh tum kya karti ho?

Naina: Mujhe kabhi akela lagta hi nahi hai!

Sujal: Kaise?

Naina: Tum ho na! Tumhare hote hue mujhe akela kaise lag sakta hai? Jabhi mujhe akela lagta hai, tum mera akelapan dooor kar dete ho!

Sujal: Naina!

He hugged Naina. Then he went to Naina's bedroom.

Sujal: Naina, mere peet mai bohot dard ho raha hai. Daba de na please!

Naina: Theek hai, late ja!

Sujal took out his shirt and lied down on the bed. He was waiting for Naina. He was this open only with Naina. He could take out his shirt in front of her, he even believed that he could change his clothes in front of her because he knew she'll just close her eyes if he does that! Sujal liked Naina's massage, and she also used to moisturize his back along with the massage.

Naina came in her room and found Sujal lying on her bed shirtless.

Naina: SUJAL! Mere bistar par tum shirtless hoke lete hue kyu ho!

Sujal: Naina! Come on, har baar tum yahi kehti hu, mai bhool jata hu aur har baar mai phir aise hi tumhare bed par shirtless late jata hu. Ab massage kar de na! Bohot dard ho raha hai!

Naina come on her bed and gave him a good massage. Sujal felt soo relaxed that as usual he slept on her bed. Naina got up after massaging and moisturizing his back. Half asleep Sujal held Naina's wrist to stop her. Naina looked at him, how cute he looked. She came near to him and caressed his forehead and picked his head up and kept it on the pillow. She kissed his forehead and took her hand out of his and covered him with a bedsheet. She went out and called Veena and told her that Sujal had slept at her house. Veena knew about Naina's massages and how Sujal always sleeps after them.

Naina went to sleep in her spare room, she closed her eyes and thought,

Naina: Din bar din, mushkil hota jaa raha hai mere liye apne feelings ko chupana Sujal ke liye. Sujal ko mai bohot pyar karti hu, par darti hu, darti hu ki kahi mai apni yeh dosti ko na kho du agar mai usse apne feelings ke baare mai batao toh..dekhti hu, agar kabhi aisa hua ki mai aur na rok saku apne aapko, toh mai usse sab sacch bata dungi. Chahe woh mujhe pyar kare ya na kare, mai apne aap ko kaise roku? Yeh dil hai ki maanta hi!

Naina slept off with these thoughts in her mind.