march 9

"Babe, can we stop at the pharmacy?" Vanessa asks me while I'm driving to have dinner with the free trip the school gave us.

"Oh shit, are you on your period?" I ask trying not to sound rude.

I'm already turning into the parking lot.

"Um, yeah. I hate to put you through the trouble, but I'm a little embarrassed. Could you get them?" she asks me. Shit.

I want to say no, but she leans over and kisses my cheek. It burns into my skin as I change my mind and leave the car. I have to slam the door to keep it from swinging opened. Punk music is replaced with Top 40 Hits as soon as I shut the door. Vanessa smiles at me through the green tinted window.

When I get to the period aisle in the pharmacy, I realize I have no clue what to buy. I get the cheapest tampon brand and hope those are the right ones. I drape a Golden High t shirt they're selling here over the box as I make my way to the cashier and pray no one from school sees me here. I put them on the counter and feel around for which pocket my wallet is in.

"It's that time of the month, now isn't it?" I hear the cashier say.

It's Summer.

"I never pegged you for transgender, but they make miracle drugs for that stuff. It's ok, I accept you," she says sarcastically.

She has on the mesh red vest with pins on it that say Ask Me About Sales! All School Supplies 50% Off! Her bleached hair is pulled into a bun with her bangs hanging in front of her eyes, smudged eyeliner all around like a racoon. Short sleeves. I take the oppurtunity to make sure she has no cuts, only a couple expected scars. Her lips are shiny with chapstick. I smell the bubblegum in her mouth. She's not wearing any glasses.

"That's gonna be $6.49, Logan Teller. Do you have rewards card with us?" she asks.

"No," I finally talk.

I'm paralyzed with shock to see her working here. We were here last month, only a few weeks ago buying bubbles for bubblebath, and she never once mentioned she worked here. Wait a second, why would she? Summer never talks unless it's necassary.

"Would you like to have one?" she asks me, taking my debt card.

"Why do you work here?" I ask.

"Free drugs." She hands me the receipt and the tampon box in a bag.

"Really."

"I have this plan to cut the population in half, starting with delinquants like you. I need money to buy such heavy mass killing supplies," she says.

I put a quarter in the slot of the tips jar.

"You're my hero," she tells me.

I start to walk away, waving at Summer goodbye, but she says my name again.

"It's, um, really cool that you came in here and bought Vanessa this stuff. Most guys wouldn't do that because they'd feel stupid. It rocks."

"Thanks, Winter," I say.

"Winter?" she asks me.

"You're cold and not very summery."

"Bye, Show-er."

"What?"

"You're a show-er not a teller."

I walk out of the automatic door, armed with tampons.