The Brats

Tori's POV:

Waking up to Jade's rough shaking had definitely been a surprise but waking up to see that she's dressed and ready with the clock reading that we've only got two minutes until the brief meeting this morning managed to spring me right up out of my sleepy state.

"Morning, sunshine," she taunts after seeing my eyes widen at the realization that I've slept through my alarm. Shit! I never sleep through-

I snap my head up at the innocent eyes that hide her oh-so devious nature. Any other time, I'd be accusing her of the things she'd so clearly done but the sudden time pressure invades my mind instead, forcing me out of bed. I make sure to yell at her all the while, however. "Why didn't you wake me up!? We're gonna be late!"

"No. You're gonna be late. I, on the other hand, will be right on time."

She smiles, tapping my chin when my jaw drops. I grit my teeth. Unfortunately, that's the most I'm able to do since she's painstakingly right. I could exact my revenge now but I'd only make myself even more late. 

Luckily, I'd laid out my uniform last night so there's no rummaging needed but still, I've no time to brush my hair, wash my face. Ugh!! This girl is gonna be the death of me. Here I was thinking there'd be a slight, slim, minute possibility in which she'd matured over the years. What the hell's wrong with me? She's Jade West. 

The girl's incapable of maturity.

"Nice abs."

Point proven.

"Go away!!" I scream at her, surprised at myself for not blushing. I guess I would have on any other occasion, had I the time to worry about the embarrassment of shamelessly stripping in front of my arch nemesis. Okay, maybe arch nemesis is too strong a term but right now, it sure does feel like it.

"Sure thing," she winks. Then shuts the door. She really did leave! In the millisecond where I'd been pulling the shirt over my head she'd managed to slip away so quickly, so easily. I check the time seeing that I've exactly one minute and twenty seconds to get to the main hall.

The mental debate in my head only lasts for about five seconds before concluding that I simply cannot afford to be late again unless I want Sarah 'deducting' points off me before I've even met my campers.

Guess tangled bed hair and a half-asleep face is the way to go.

I've got one shoe on, hopping into the next while simultaneously putting on my big brown jacket as I lock the door. Then, I realize I've forgotten my lanyard, curse myself, grab the lanyard and rush downstairs to find that I'm the last one to arrive at the hall.

"Ah, Miss Vega. Thank you for gracing us with your... disturbing presence." She raises an eyebrow at me. Probably because I look horrible, out of breath from the stairs, and no doubt sound like I smoked ten packs of cigarettes while I frantically apologize for my tardiness.

Jade smirks at me from the other side of the room and I glare at her, already plotting a dozen ways to get back at her. I am not forgiving her for this. I thought we could be civil. I was going to give her a chance. Maybe even try to see good in her again although I would've struggled with that one. But that's it. I'm done playing nice.

"As I was saying, your campers will meet you in your designated area. Introduce yourselves, get acquainted and go through the introductory procedure in your camp counsellor handbook," Sarah informs us, never looking at me once throughout the very short meeting. She must really despise me by now. Which isn't surprising. I have managed to mess up every interaction possible. If anything, she should be firing me for being a 'hazard' to the children.