That Laugh

Author's Note: Rated M for mature content

-------------------------------------------------------------

Tori's POV:

"So, how long do you plan on living in the bathroom?" Her voice rings through the door that I currently lean against.

"Go away!"

"Seriously, Vega. The only one making a big deal here is you. It was just a kiss."

Except it wasn't.

Maybe to her, but definitely not to me.

I don't know what happened. Jade's always been one to cause chaos, both externally and internally, but this? This was all me.

Whatever compelled me to lean in wasn't done by whim or curiosity or any other possible explanation that I've been racking my brain for the past twenty minutes.

I don't go around kissing people and I certainly don't do it on the first date. Heck, that's the exact freaking reason my date with Andrew ended with me storming out in the first place, which then led to this disaster. 

And for it to be Jade of all people... why did it have to be her? She isn't ridiculing me about it now but who's to say she won't announce it to the world tomorrow? Or hold it against me for the rest of my life because what the hell was I thinking when I kissed her?

Maybe I'm coming down with something. 

I groan internally. I can almost picture the disappointed and shocked looks I'd receive if the gang saw me right now. All my complaining about how she's the most demented and evil person to walk this earth and yet I was the one who initiated. 

Except, I wasn't really the one who started all this.

I was doing fine minding my own business and staying far away from hers. None of this would've even happened if she hadn't chosen this stupid date as my punishment. 

Which, come to think of it, makes this all her fault!

My temporarily-delusional state has me swinging the door open so quick that she almost falls on top of me in surprise. I didn't realize she was leaning against it and while I have half the heart to apologize, I point an accusatory finger at her instead.

"Was this your plan?" I demand with full confidence despite her confused face, "I fall for you. You break my heart. Henderson signs you?"

That has to be it. Her big plot to ruin me. I should've known right from the start when she got all up in my business and insisted that we could be more than friends.

Everything adds up now. The stolen glances, the unexplained gestures of courtesy, the flirty teasing...

"Woah, woah wait. You kissed me."

"You asked me out."

"To prove a point!"

"Well, what was your point, Jade? Why do you even care if I think Andrew's better than you? Why would you go out of your way to prove me wrong? Why, huh!?"

There's a second of silence. A full second of intense glaring, both of us equally stubborn in our arguments and neither willing to step down.

Had I known what was to ensue that silence, I would have appreciated it a little more.

She moves too quick for me to react.

Thing is, if I had known she was going to be the one leaning in this time, even if she was moving in slow motion, would I have really pushed her away? Would I have stopped her and listened to the rational part of my brain screaming at me not to get involved in this gigantic mess that's about to get a whole lot bigger?