Part 2

"Blind?!" Emma repeated in disbelief.

She nodded and gave a small smile.

Everyone gasped; horrified of such an absurd information.

"B-But, how can you run if you can't see, Elaine?" A quiet whisper came from little Olive.

Tilting a little to the left, she turned to face us, though struggling to meet us eye-to-eye. Seeing her clearer this time, I now understand why Emma felt so intimidated by her in the first place.

Because this girl is beautiful. No kidding.

Beauty seems to naturally radiate in her body, passing through her dirty blonde locks and tattered clothing.

All the boys and even the girls, can't help but stare in awe at such an angelic face. Enoch, as well, dropped his snobbish facade and stared.

Smiling softly, she replied, "That's because I can see. Though, I don't actually know how I am really able to..." Looking quite frazzled in the end, as if she still can't believe what she's capable of doing.

Turning up again, she unconsciously stared back at me.

And I saw her eyes.

It's grey - wait, no- If you look close enough, you'll see the faint wisp of blue in those irises of hers, like that of the sky, and the oceans and seas. It probably gleamed with joy and excitement before because you can see that small twinkle in her eyes for a fleeting moment. But right now, it's literally clouded, making it dull and expression less.

I think I was thinking out loud.

Maybe too loud, that words just came tumbling out of my lips in a soft murmur. "Those eyes," I said.

Emma immediately snapped up and gave me a piercing glare.

Heat crept up my neck and I cleared my throat, "Elaine," I cautiously said, "were you blind on the very day you were born?"

She scowled, as if the memory displease her.

"Well, actually... no. I could recall seeing clearly when I was young. It started turning hazy when I was ten, and it just worsen until I was completely blind by the time I turned fourteen."

Someone snorted, "Well that explains it."

All heads turned to the source of the seethingly cocky voice, and we saw Enoch, back on his grumpy attitude.

"Explains what?" Horace said.

He gave a low grunt, as if he find it amusing to talk to dumb kindergardners. "She can't really see. I reckon, she's blind as a bat at day."

"Excuse me?" Elaine cried. "Are you saying I'm a liar? How could I bring you here if I can't see where we are to go? It might be strange though, as I, myself, can't believe in my ability, but it doesn't mean I'm not telling the truth."