Chaper Ten

Forest Brooks

"Whatever you're thinking about, stop it. Okay?" my coach reprimands. "You're making irrational decisions, signaling dumb plays. You're going to get hurt."

I press the back of my glove covered hands to my face, groaning, then I rest them on my hips, hunching over slightly. "I know, I'm sorry." I curse at myself under my breath, just as frustrated as he is.

"Step up and be the leader I asked you to be from day one. Got it?"

"Yeah. I will be. Sorry."

He shakes his head. "Don't be sorry, just get it done, kid. Be smart." Coach B sticks his fist out to me, and I return the gesture, pushing my fist against his. "Get out there and play smart. All of you. Let's get it done."

One of the guys calls our team name and we push our sticks together in the middle.

Skating back out onto the court, Mackai shoves the back of my head and Sebastian slaps my back.

Despite them not saying anything, that's their way of telling me I got this. I let out a heavy exhale, trying my damndest to recollect myself. My eyes flash from the referee, to the other team, to the goal.

One point and we take the lead. Don't fuck it up.

Maylee Lych

I stand relatively close with Mac and Cameron outside the building with the hockey court, my hands stuffed in my pockets and eyes on the clouds.

"Maylee."

My eyes drift to the source of the voice. To my right is an old friend, Sebastian. It's been a while since I've seen him. I don't come to the games often. I hate sitting and watching.

"Hey," I breathe. "Good job out there." A smile covers my lips.

He flashes a grin at me before rocking back and forth from his heels to his toes. "Thanks." He sighs. "I heard you were causing trouble, May. What's goin' on?"

I furrow my brows and tilt my head back to look at him. "What do you mean?" I ask.

"You're the reason Brooks is in his head, yeah?" Seb chuckles, shoving his hands in his sweatpant's pockets.

"How do you know that? He told you?"

His foot kicks out to knock a rock away from him. "No," he says, words coming out harsh as if I was supposed to know that. "Word travels fast. Weird exes who don't think you deserve him, mainly. The girls who are in love with him and hate you because he's not into them, too. But he's gotta' be into you. This is the longest anything has been on his mind. And I mean anything."

I scoff. "I'm not into him. I do stupid stuff that is confusing us. It was dumb. It's not — we're not anything. Just a tutor and her tutee."

Sebastian laughs. "Yeah, okay."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing."

I shove his chest playfully and laugh. "That's mean. Brooks doesn't think about me, you weirdo."

He chuckles. "Does that mean you're still single?"

"Seb... You know it was just a one time thing, right? Plus it was a year ago."

After I was dragged out to a party last year, despite my complaints, I got a little too drunk. That resulted in me having the brilliant idea of getting stoned too. When I say I'd never gotten high before that, I mean it. So that night resulted in too many disasters and casualties.