Chapter 6: Flying

I know that you're probably asleep right now though maybe not, knowing you and we are going to write later anyway, but I couldn't not write to you about this straight away. This morning Norbert and I flew all the way over the valley up to the fifth peak. It's the furthest we've gone so far. We are still out now, we're just at the edge of a forest, and Norbert has just discovered autumn leaves for the first time.

The smell of something burning pierced Charlie's nostrils, and he immediately stopped writing in his notebook. Looking up, he saw that Norbert had set a handful of fallen leaves alight.

"Aguamenti," said Charlie, quickly pointing his wand at the autumnal pyre. A jet of water extinguished the flames, and Norbert turned his head to glare at Charlie, who shrugged. "Sorry, mate. You can't go around starting forest fires. We're still not in Magda's good books as it is."

Norbert looked away, and returned to chasing the russet-coloured leaves that were blowing in the breeze. There was a loud crunching sound as he landed on a pile of them, and he looked down at his talons before rolling on his back on the leaf-strewn ground. Charlie laughed and shook his head.

He's playing like a hatchling and having the time of his life. It's actually really cute, and that isn't a word you tend to associate with dragons that much. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know about the leaves, and about Norbert and how well he's doing.

It was true. Norbert was doing really well. It was hard to believe that this was the same malnourished and underdeveloped juvenile that had arrived at the sanctuary that morning in early May. Now, Norbert was strong and mischievous, currently gambolling in the leaves on the side of a mountain as the October sun started to rise over the tops of the trees on the horizon.

Looking at the scene in front of him, Charlie felt a swell of pride and affection, which gave way to distinct wistfulness. As much as he was glad that Norbert was almost ready to be set free, there was a part of him that wasn't yet ready to say goodbye. He returned his attention back to his notebook, and finished writing his message to Artemis.

I wish you could be here to see him for yourself. Good morning for whenever you read this.

Charlie closed the notebook and put it away. He knew that he really ought to head back with Norbert before the sun finished rising. The mating season was coming to its end, but the wild dragons on the reserve were still straying from their usual territories, and he didn't really want to encounter any of them as he and Norbert flew back to the compound. Norbert didn't yet know how to interact with other dragons, and other dragons didn't know how to not see humans as anything other than a potential meal.

That being said, a few more minutes couldn't hurt. Norbert was enjoying playing with the leaves, and Charlie could see that he was mimicking hunting behaviours. If anything, this was good for his development. They could stay like this for a little longer, Charlie reasoned.

He must have left it a little too long, though, because soon he heard the unmistakable sound of a dragon call. Not deep enough for an Ironbelly, or melodious enough for a Common Green. A Longhorn, perhaps, Charlie thought, and a moment later, the shadow of a dragon passed high in the sky overhead.

Hearing the noise, Norbert raised his head from the leaves, and watched the other dragon intently, before turning towards Charlie and snorting.

"We can't go flying after it, Norbert," Charlie told him. "That dragon won't know that steaks taste better than people, I'm afraid."

Norbert snorted again, and Charlie shrugged at him. Somewhat sulkily, Norbert turned away, and kept watching the Longhorn as it flew into the distance.

Interesting, Charlie thought. Maybe he was better off staying here for a while. That way, Norbert could get used to seeing and hearing a few other dragons at a safer distance. As long as they returned while it was still quite cold, there wouldn't be too many around to pose a danger to them, just enough to give Norbert some exposure to his own kind.