Chapter 3: Accelerating

A week after they had arrived, the four dragon smugglers were returning to England's green pastures. Despite having visitors, Charlie had been making a point of visiting Norbert in the holding pens every morning and evening in the hope of establishing a routine. He reasoned that if Norbert expected him to be there, he'd find his presence less threatening, and perhaps the dragon would then be easier to manage.

On the morning of his friends' departure, however, Charlie set off to see Norbert earlier than usual. Not having an illegal dragon in tow this time, the others had booked a morning Portkey for their return journey, and he wanted to walk with them to find it.

He was joined, yet again, by Artemis, who wanted a final look at Norbert before she left. So far, Charlie had mainly gone down to the holding pens alone, not wanting to overwhelm the young dragon, but when Artemis asked him the night before if she could come with him, he found himself unable to think of a reason why she shouldn't. After all, she had helped Norbert get there in the first place. Who was he to deny her a chance to say goodbye?

"He's gotten bigger already," she said, sitting cross-legged on the ground beside Charlie.

"They grow fast," Charlie shrugged. Artemis frowned and tilted her head slightly, front teeth grazing her lower lip.

"You can still see his keel, though."

"Well, he's not had much of a reason or chance to move around that much, being stuck in here."

"Doesn't that mean he's going to be another week behind where he should be?" Artemis asked. Charlie kept his eyes firmly on the dragon as he nodded his head. He had an idea of what Artemis was going to say next, "Does that not make it harder for you to get him healthy again?"

There was a forced breeziness to her voice that Charlie had heard many times before. The corners of his mouth twitched, in spite of the fact that the faint undertone of helplessness to her words made his chest tighten in an unpleasant way.

"It does, but I don't mind a challenge," he said, his voice level, his eyes still on Norbert. "I told you I'd get him better, and I'm going to get him better. I swear."

He took a deep breath and cleared his mind of any thoughts of the things that could go wrong - for him or Norbert - before turning to smile at Artemis.

"How are you going to do it?"

It was more the tone of genuine interest than Artemis' intense gaze that caught Charlie off guard. Unable to hide the real answer from her, he grinned sheepishly.

"Well, I haven't worked out the details just yet," he admitted. Artemis' face hardened, and he added, "but I will. After you lot leave I'll go to my boss and ask for help. She'll know what to do."

Artemis raised her eyebrows disbelievingly, before frowning again.

"What's the matter?" Charlie asked her.

"You've shaved your beard off," replied Artemis. "Is that because of what Tonks said?"

"No, I just decided to shave it off."

"You know, she was only teasing you, Charlie."

"I didn't do it because of what Tonks said."

"None of us actually think you're turning into Hagrid. It was just a joke, because of the beard, and the dog, and the hut-"

"It's not a hut, it's a lodge."

"Right."

"And I don't shave my face for Tonks' sake."

Artemis nodded, smirking to herself.

"Fine," she said, and Charlie shook his head. Artemis rested her own on his left shoulder, leaning against his side as she watched Norbert. Charlie didn't move a muscle. "At least you're better at looking after dragons than Hagrid. Next time I visit we'll be able to go and see Norbert in the wild."