Chapter 2

I sneak out the back door and rush around the side of our modest home.

No sooner do I push through the side gate, Rico's black Lamborghini comes in sight, along with the black SUV his security team arrived in. No one in this neighborhood—this district owns a Lamborghini.

 God knows what the neighbors think is going on.

I just hope no one from inside-is-outside to see me run off. William would tackle me to the ground if he saw me. 

Either way, I'm going. So I yank up the hem of the white gown my mother made me wear, and dart across the front lawn. Once I'm out on the footpath, I sprint towards the end of the street and around the corner.

I should have changed into something more practical before running off? Better still, why did I let my mother dress me up in this stupid fucking wedding gown? She said Rico would expect me to go to some effort.

 Yeah right. He couldn't have cared less how I looked. In fact, he gave me a startled stare when he first saw me, and I felt ridiculous because it looked like he wanted to laugh but contained it to a smile.

By the time I reach Marcus's cul-de-sac, beads of sweet are running down my back. I've been coming here for two years, ever since he asked me to be his girlfriend. I'd been drooling over him for months, so of course I jumped at the chance. 

We've been solid since. Until now. Until I had to marry Rico.

I pass the SUV in his driveway, leap up the three steps to his door, and then pound my palm against it. "MARCUS!" I'm breathless, hot, and the material on this dress is making my chest itch.

Within seconds, a chain rattles, the door opens, and Marcus is standing before me. 

I lung at him, wrapping my arms around his lean waist. "I'm so sorry. Just know that I love you, ok." 

"What the hell, Lex?"

He feels warm and familiar against me, and I love his scent and the way he holds me, but he's not holding me as he normally would. "Let's leave town right now," I say as I pull back from him and stare into his hazel eyes.  "We'll find money and go overseas like we've been talking about." 

I'm desperate for him to come away with me. And for him, I would give up whatever I have left so we can stay together.

He glares at me. "You married the murder, then?"

Tears burst from my eyes and run down my cheeks. "I had to. You know that. But we can go now. You and me. Please."

He breaks free of my arms and steps back, shaking his head. "We can't do that, not now."

"We can," I say in a panic. "Rico won't care."

His face scrunches into lines. "You're his fucking wife, Lex! His wife!... I don't wanna end up with a bullet!... CHRIST... look," his voice drops. "I love you, yeah... but this... this is over both our heads."

"So what, you're giving up on us?"

He tosses his arms out at his sides. "What else can I do? I'm 21, Lex. I can't take on a drug lord."

"But we love each other. We're gonna travel the world together. Why are you giving up on me, on us?"

"What am I supposed to do? Your brother told me Rico will kill me if I go near you once you marry him. And I don't wanna die."

"My god, he wouldn't kill you. He doesn't even care about me. It's only one of William's threats."

"I'm not dying for you, Lex."