💭 [ prologue ]

2043

2043

Rain patters down against the window endlessly, seemingly not stopping anytime soon. A fifteen-year-old girl leans her face against the glass, bored out of her mind, as she looks out into the cityscape from the penthouse.

It's nearly 2AM, but Kyujin was finding it hard to fall asleep on a Friday night. Ironic because she remembers how she had been complaining to her best friend, Jiwoo, about how she was sleepy during the school day.

Yet, she's still wide awake.

The house is completely silent, so Kyujin figures her parents have fallen asleep.

After she gets up from her window seat, the girl mindlessly walks around her room with her airpods plugged in. Scrolling through her Spotify, she taps on a random pop song and lets it blare in her ears.

While humming along to the song, her gaze falls on the pile of boxes her dad left in her room earlier today. She recalls him taking it to the storage room but dropping it off here when her younger brother, Kiwoo, started throwing a tantrum.

"Of course, dad forgot to take these," Kyujin sighs to herself as she approaches the boxes.

Usually, she would ignore and just tell her dad to take them the next morning, but considering her state of boredom, Kyujin grabs the first box off the tower and sits down with it on the floor.

Pulling back the flaps, she spots a bunch of her mother's belongings. There are jewelry boxes, used paintbrushes, and a photoalbum. Kyujin picks up the album, flipping through the pages with a soft smile growing on her face.

She looks so happy.

Mom has always been pretty. She seriously looks the same as she did back then.

What's this... oh, it's a picture with Auntie Yeji and Auntie Chaeryeong. They were definitely the It girls of their time.

Kyujin puts down the photo album once the last page is reached. She peers inside the box, not finding much under the rest of the old items.

That is until she catches sight of another book.

This one was smaller with thinner pages. The girl retracts the petite book. It's a little worn from age but the pale blue cover looks as pretty as ever in Kyujin's eyes.

Her fingers run down the spine of the book before she opens it. A picture falls out to which Kyujin immediately picks it up. She can't help but smile when she sees the two familiar people. It's her parents.