Chapter 4: Aria of Frost

Aureo's POV:

A few days have passed since myself and Vermillion visited the Schnee Manor. With the charity concert upon us, Vermillion decided to try and contact his leader.

Vermillion: Lapis. You read me?

There was no answer. He tried again. No answer.

Vermillion: Damn it! Reception must be awful out that way.

"He did say he was heading to Mistral. The path from Patch to Mistral doesn't have the best reception."

Vermillion: Right.

"Say, what were you gonna tell him anyway?"

Vermillion: I was gonna tell him we found Weiss and we're a stone's throw away from getting her out of here.

"I see."

Vermillion: Sis, if anything goes wrong tonight, I want you to get out ASAP. Whatever happens, I'm taking the fall.

I pause before I finally speak up.

"Verm, you can't be serious. I can't leave my brother behind."

Vermillion: Aureo, this was my mission. If her father finds out what I'm planning, he'll have my head on a silver platter. When or if that happens, I want you to run. You are the new CEO of Ardent Dust Shoppe. You need to live, for your sake and mine.

This is the most serious he's ever been. I can't just accept the idea of leaving him behind. What kind of older sister would I be?

"Bro, I'm not leaving you behind. If Jacques catches you, I will make sure you and Weiss escape, even if it costs me this business opportunity."

I stared him in the eyes, not willing to let him die. After a few seconds, he sighed in defeat.

Vermillion: If you insist, I won't stop you. But, promise me this. If it does get dicey, don't hesitate to run. Mom and Dad don't need to lose both children tonight.

"Okay... Okay, let's get going then."

Vermillion: Now or never.

Weiss' POV:

It's finally the night. The night of the charity concert. As I look around, I see a lot of people dressed in suits and dresses of varying color, yet none stand out like Vermillion or Aureo. I begin pacing as I wait. Not long after, they show up, dressed the same as they were a few days ago, although they feel different. I can't quite say what exactly, but it feels like they're ready for a fight.

Vermillion: Good evening, my darling snow angel.

"Sh-shut up..."

My face becomes flushed and red like his crimson jacket. I... actually kind of like that nickname when he calls me that...

Aureo: Good evening, Weiss. Pray tell, where has your father gone?

"He is making his way to the balcony as we speak. Speaking of, we should probably begin making our way to the ballroom."

Aureo: Good idea.

We head to the ballroom as everyone gathers around. A light shines down on me as the Emblem of Atlas paints the stage. I begin singing a wordless aria, letting my voice do the work. As I sing, I let my arms stretch out. Some time has passed and I finally switch from just notes to the lyrics I've been working on.

"I'm not your pet, not another thing you own. I was not born guilty of your crimes.

Your riches and your influence can't hold me anymore.