01| Forks

THE SOFT DRAG of the vehicle stretched the silence. She peered up at the sky, the grey overcast of heavy clouds that dared to rain in any second, streaked with melancholy filled her view. She watched as the blur of tall ivory trees whirled past her, consequently sense of serenity washed ashore.

Moving to Forks after years spent in sunny Phoenix was a drastic change that if it had not been for the behest of her father, she would've fought her way out of it. She liked it back there, in Phoenix. She had a life— friends, good grades, a possible boyfriend, but it all vanished with a snap.

It was so easy to get caught up in one thing before being plummeted into another.

The ride home from the airport was silent. Due to the fact that Bella, Adie's sister was a terrible conversationalist and their father had allowed Adie to continue sleeping in the backseat. The thirteen year old, now freshly awoken stretched her limbs and yawned.

"You good there Adie?" He gently asked.

Still yawning she replied, "mm—good."

"Just in a few, we'll reach the house." He informed, turning his head to give the young girl a small smile. Renee had told him the veiled truth of Adie's reluctance to move. Though she didn't tell him all for the guilt that built in her. To know your youngest doesn't want to live with you, sucks. Still, Charlie had known since Adie was little that she had a thing for nostalgia. Always clinging to items as if they were sacred relics.

Adie was scared of change and Charlie was ready to make it the most comfortable and adequate change, he'd hope, one day with great perseverance, both Bella and Adie would grow to love it. Love Forks.

Adie eyes coloured with curiosity, "Can I have the attic?" She asked, the balm of sleep still drugged her.

"Why?" Bella laughed whilst bitting her nails.

"The view up there is nice, and I don't have to hear Bella's adolescence sorrows." She replied, a snide curl of her lips as the older girl squinted her eyes.

Bella turned in her seat and smacked her head, Adie ducked nearly missing her heinous attack.

Charlie laughed, how much did he missed?

"Please, I'd love to hear some examples."

"Oh, just you wait."

—.*+ ^🛴

As the Swans pulled up onto the paved driveway, a white suburban house came into view. It was smaller than she had remembered it, and it comes with despondent fact that she missed it. She was five when they left. Only remembering what time had been kind enough to spare.

Bella would tell her things about Charlie and their house back in Forks whenever a silence was passed over, and at first it was a constant, then they slowly fade into a cycle that excluded their father from the image. Calling in once in a while for birthdays and graduation.

She entered the house first, somehow remembering where the spare key was placed. Her eyes traced every line on the walls and each panels of wood on the stairs.

It was weird that what was supposed to be her home was foreign. Like an alien transported into another planet. She wasn't akin to anything. So much had changed and so little.

Charlie and Bella came in rough, hands filled with bags and suitcases as they set it at the mouth of the stairs.

Charlie knows that look all too well in his youngest eyes, so he placed his hands on his waist and nodded his head up, "Go on," he gently nudged.