Prologue

The worst thing about growing up too fast is seeing the world exactly for what it is.

Those fairytales...

The stories, you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones about strength in unity and the loyalty in family...those just unravel in front of you and you see them exactly for what they are: a string of lies.

The biggest, the best one, I must admit is the supposed gift of the Goddess we're supposed to be thankful for.

The Gift...

Your soulmate...

See, all everyone wants to talk about is the good your mate will bring, how it's your other half, the one you're fated to be with, the one that will put you before anyone else. He's the one that will make you the happiest in your entire life.

Beautiful, right?

Right, but no one talks about the horror that comes with that mate. People seem to forget that he's also the one that can cause you the greatest pain. The one that can cause you to lose yourself in a godforsaken darkness that you won't be able to pull yourself out of. He could be the one to drag you into hell and leave you there to burn. He can, because as our mate, we let him.

A mate: a person you can't live without until you have to. But even then, you're not really living, you become this lifeless corpse that forgets about everything...like your children, for example. No one seems to realize the sacrifice they make when they accept their mates into their lives. They don't realize the danger of having a mate till it's too late. Allowing someone to have such a hold on you that when they're gone, you lose yourself. That to me is what a mate was.

Sure, there was this beautiful side, but what about that darkness? Seeing that darkness happen in front of me made me realize one thing. Wherever my mate was, I didn't care because I didn't want him.

My name is Katerina Edwards, and I will not give my mate that hold on me.