She's a Flight Risk

Eric

I was going through the woods trying to pick up her scent anywhere as I checked in on every house. It was already dark when my ears picked up on a wolf fight and faint crying. I ran forward as an intoxicating scent filled my nostrils. I saw her first then the three wolves ready to attack her. Immediately, I jumped in front of her and let a growl rip from my throat. The three froze in their spots as they looked at me.

'Eric, what the hell?!' Myra growled establishing a link.

'That's what I should be saying!' I growled back. 'What do you guys think you're doing?!'

'Is this really how you're going to welcome us back?' Lyla replied sounding hurt.

Lyla, Myra, and Nyssa were my cousins, daughters of my late Aunt Anna. They grew up with me like siblings as she passed during childbirth, but they've been out for the last two years staying with Noche Negra pack as Myra had to build herself back up from something that had happened back then.

'Welcome back,' I growled, 'now, let's go home.' I could tell by the way that Myra tried to look passed me that she wasn't ready to call it quits yet. 'Myra!'

'Don't yell at me!' Myra snapped at me as we both locked eyes with each other in challenge.

'Let's go,' I growled in warning. She gave a low growl in complaint but turned with her sisters. I told the three which way to go.

'Aw, what the hell are we doing here?' Nyssa complained as we arrived at Cassie's house. Despite that Cassie and I were childhood friends because of her being the Gamma's daughter, Nyssa and her never got along. Cassie was always competing for Derek's attention long before they even knew they were mates. Because Derek was always hanging with Nys, it caused a lot of jealousy in Cass.

'Everyone is waiting for you at the packhouse,' I frowned, 'you come home like this, it'll cause a lot of problems. Just go and clean up and heal here before heading to your welcome party.'

I sent a quick link to Cassie and it wasn't long before she came out opening her door. Myra narrowed her eyes at me letting out a low growl still angry about the interruption in the fight than anything as she walked toward Cassie's. Nyssa had her head ducked as she reluctantly crossed the lawn. Lyla stepped up toward me rubbing her muzzle and head against my neck.

'Well, I'm still happy to see you,' she linked before she ran to catch up to her sisters.

'I'm happy you're home too, Ly,' I linked her back. I watched as the three entered the house as Cass waved bye before closing the door behind her. I stood there for a few moments listening for any talk that I should worry about, specifically Myra.

After feeling secure, I made my way back to the scene of the fight, so I could follow my mate's scent back to her house. I stopped shifting into my human form right before reaching her territory to grab some hidden basketball shorts and slipped them on as I doubt, I'd find any on her territory. I ran in human form the rest of the way. I stopped at the scene as I picked up a strong scent of my mate. I walked over to the backpack laying on the floor. I kneeled to pick it up.

Why does she have two?

I have the one with her schoolwork in my car...so, what does this one have? I unzipped the backpack finding cash, a few changes of clothing, toiletries, and some snacks...

My hands clenched around the bag as I realized what it was. A getaway bag. I zipped it back up as I swung the bag over my shoulder and began running after her scent.

At the end of it, there was a house in a field surrounded by woods. Anger and confusion were tearing at me as my grip tightened on the strap. I went up the porch steps and to the door but stopped my hand from knocking unsure if I should. I paced back and forth as I tried to calm my anger down. Maybe, it's not what I think. I mean, she had to know we were mates, why would she run? Would she leave me so easily?