𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

content warning - read with caution or don't read at all if you are uncomfortable with the following topics: discussion of suicide and grief.

   "How long have we had this bottle of wine for?" Vincent called from the kitchen while you vigorously fluffed the pillows on the couch. "It looks quite expensive."

   "It is," You responded, sighing and straightening your posture. "I got it from the store today."

   "You're that nervous for Nicole and Kai's visit? I thought the three of you were close." He closed the fridge and stepped over to where you stood. You furrowed your eyebrows.

   "We were. That's the problem." You looked him in the eye and quietly said: "I'm scared they'll hate us for leaving."

   Vincent frowned, not seeming to understand your stress. He tried to reassure you.

   "You said it went well when you saw them yesterday. I'm sure they'll be understanding."

   "Probably, but... ugh, I don't know. I'm just..."

   "Worried?"

   "Sure."

   "Don't be," Vincent attempted a comforting smile, which half-worked. "Everything will be fine."

   "Hiii!" Chimed Nicole when you opened the door for her. You beamed and gave her a tight hug. She suddenly gasped and let go of you, making room for Kai to greet you as well.

   "Vincent, wow!" She exclaimed. "Were you this tall the last time I saw you?"

   "My last growth spurt happened when I was about sixteen; I would hope so- uhf!"

   You turned away from Kai to see what you wished you could've gotten a picture of. Nicole was hugging Vincent so tight, he looked like he couldn't breathe. You knew he wasn't one for excessive physical contact, and he seemed to be looking at you for help. You shrugged.

   "Woah, you do look taller!" Said Kai.

   "No one told me I looked taller!" You complained, crossing your arms in mock-annoyance. Nicole laughed, letting go of Vincent.

   "That's because Afton is tall tall, you know? You're average."

   "Geez, ok," You rolled your eyes. Suddenly, you remembered something. "Oh yeah! I got a bottle of wine for us to share."

   "Oooh, neat!" Cheered Nicole.

   "Still can't drink, morons."

   You looked at Kai and blinked. How could you have forgotten? They were only 20.

   "We... have juice."

   They seemed satisfied with that. They soon struck up a casual conversation with Vincent, laughing and almost bantering despite not being especially close to him. Nicole was chiming in where she could, smiling right along with the others. A pang of distress hit you, and you wondered how they'd react to what you knew about Vincent.

   Like always, you shook the thought out of your head. Tonight would go well.

   You stepped into the kitchen to retrieve four wine glasses from the cabinet. You had no idea where you had gotten wine glasses from in the first place - they were probably Vincent's. You tried to imagine him hosting a fancy dinner party, and grinned as you pulled the wine out of the fridge.

   Each glass was poured dutifully until they all had something inside; three were dark magenta and the other was bright, saturated red.

   "I have the goods," You said happily, bringing the drinks to the coffee table in the living room. As you set them down, you wondered if you should have prepared something to eat. Nicole and Kai had claimed to have already gotten dinner, but you still wish you could've been more prepared.