Tuesday

"No no, I'm paying." George frowned, "That's not fair. What if we split the bill?" Clay put on his shoes before walking to his wardrobe. "What if I paid today and you can pay next time?" George smiled softly, "On our... next date." Clay grabbed two jackets, handing one to George. "Exactly. It feels nice now but it'll get colder. Where are we gonna stargaze?" George perked up, putting the jacket on excitedly. "There's a field a couple miles from my house. I used to drive there all the time 'cause I know the family that owns the land." Clay nodded "Nice. You'll just give me directions when we leave?" George nodded, "Yeah. You should bring a blanket too, so we can lie down and not have to worry about grass stains or dew." Clay nodded with a smile, picking out a soft, gray blanket and folding it under his arm. "After you."

They got to the bistro and sat at a table for two. They ordered drinks— a lemonade for George and a coke for Clay— settling on talking while they waited for their server to return. "Ya know they do like shows here and everything?" George set down his glass, "Hm?" Clay nodded, folding his hands and resting his elbows on the table. "Like band gigs. Locals go up there and perform." George looked to the side, where there was a stage. "That's so cool. I wonder if they'll have any of that tonight." Their server returned, hastily apologizing for taking so long. "Okay, so what can I get you two?" George looked at the menu, completely forgetting what he was going to order. "Uhmm, oh yeah, the BLT but no tomatoes and can I get it on the ciabatta bread?" The server nodded, writing down his order and politely taking the menu from him. "Okay, and for you?" Clay handed her his menu, "I'll get the chicken Alfredo pasta, extra cheese." The server wrote down his order and smiled at them, "Okay, I'll have that right out." George thanked her, noticing Clay focused on something behind him, looking kind of irritated.

"Clay? What's wrong?" He narrowed his eyes, not focusing on George. "Don't look but there's a guy who keeps eyeing you. He's setting up on the stage." George straightened his posture uncomfortably. "I- I'm sure he's just scanning the crowd." Clay shook his head, "No, I don't think so. He just- he just fuckin pointed at you and is whispering to some guy." George pursed his lips inward. "Clay," he placed a hand on top of Clay's clasped ones. "It's okay. I don't care whose eyes are on me because mine are on you." Clay looked at him, a bit surprised. He took a deep breath, unfolding his hands to hold George's on top of the table. "Okay." He smiled and tried to ignore the man in the back before he started approaching them. "Oh for fucks sake-" George looked back to be met with a wave. He gasped, jumping out of his chair, startling Clay.

"Wilbur? Oh my god!" George hugged him around his neck. "George! Oh it's good to see you again. You got my invite." George pulled back, "What invite?" Wilbur tilted his head with a confused smile, "I'm in the band for tonight. I sent you a text a couple days ago." George groaned, "I got a new phone. I guess I forgot to transfer your number-" Clay cleared his throat, standing up with a polite smile. "Oh, of course. Wilbur, this is Clay. Clay, Wilbur." Wilbur shook his hand, looking at George "A... friend?" George shook his head with a smile. "A- a boyfriend?" George nodded, his smile growing. "Oh my god!" Wilbur gasped, looking at Clay before looking back at George. "I didn't even know you were- oh my god!" George laughed, "I didn't know either! Clay said he'd help me see if I liked guys and, well, now we're dating." Wilbur hugged him again, "Oh, that's great man. I'm so happy for you."

"Wait so you said you're in a band?" George sat back down, offering a chair around their table to Wilbur. "Yeah yeah, I texted you about that too." George sighed, "Of course you did. What's it called?" Wilbur smiled, pulling at the collar of his shirt. "Lovejoy. We've got shirts!" George laughed softly, "Those are cool." He looked at Clay who was looking at the shirt as well before meeting George's eye. He sighed, "I'll buy you one." George clapped, "Hey, don't sigh! You wouldn't let me go back for my wallet." Clay shook his head, ignoring his accusation and sipping on his coke. "Okay, well, I'm just getting started so we'll have to catch up some other time. It was great seeing you again." Wilbur hugged George before shaking Clay's hand again, "Great meeting you as well, big man." He gave Clay's shoulder a pat before leaving to finish setting up. George sighed happily, "This is awesome." Clay smiled in return, reaching to hold George's hand again. "I thought you didn't have any friends?" George rolled his eyes, intertwining their fingers. "I have one, I guess."