End and Beginning

Rough panting was heard as a woman covered by a cloak ran through the streets towards an apartment building.

People were saying that it might start raining soon which made her rush to get home before the acidic water started to pour.

Quickly running into the apartment, she made her way up to her room and sealed the door shut before finally taking a moment to breath... which immediately made her start to cough.

Clutching her chest and dropping to her knees, she coughed until it became hard to breath.

After, what felt like hours, she calmed down and was finally able to take off her gas mask. A gross pinkish splatter on the inside from her fit.

She let out a sigh, opting to clean it later, and tossed it to the side. Then, she slowly stood up and shrugged off her cloak and took off her shoes.

"Finally." She rasped and walked further into her apartment before plopping down on her game chair. "I wonder if anyone logged on?"

She leaned forward and picked up her headset from a nearby table and put it on, logging into her game.

~~~

"Astra!" Momonga shot up from his seat at the round table when he saw the cosmic aasimar enter the room. "I'm glad you came! You just missed Herohero."

Astraeus was a Cosmic Aasimar with grayish blue skin and long silver hair that mimicked a galaxy on the inside.

The avatar was really beautiful and had stars for freckles. She always spoke of how proud she was with how it turned out.

"Sorry, I'm a bit late." Astra said with a sigh. "The place I worked at closed down so we had to help throw stuff out."

Momonga waved her off. "It's no problem. I guess you'll have to find a new job then, huh."

The Aasimar went quiet for a moment and stared down at the table. "I don't think I will... It's gotten worse lately."

A heavy silence fell over them.

Momonga knew about her poor health, of course he did. All of their friends did. But, to hear that it might finally be the end for her... "This sucks!" He suddenly exclaimed and hit the table. "This is our home! We built it together, with virtual blood and sweat! How could they turn their backs on it so easily?! And now you... they won't even be able to say goodbye to you!"

Astra look at him in surprise. "Momo..." She walked forward and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Enough of that. You know that's not what they did. No one in the guild betrayed us."

"No." He sighed and stood up. He turned walked up to the wall behind him where a golden staff was floating in a small alcove. The guilds weapon. The Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown.

"We played recklessly to make that." Astra muttered as she moved to stand next to him.

Momonga couldn't help but let out a chuckle. "Some of us even spent our PTO just to have time to grind the materials." He agreed. 'Among the original 41 members, 36 of them quit. Then, the three that were left....' He reached out and grabbed the staff, taking it from the alcove.

He turned to leave the room and Astra silently followed.

'There were two requirements for joining the guild, Ainz Ooal Gown. The player's avatar had to be inhuman and the player themselves had to be a functioning member of society.' Momonga thought to himself as they walked. 'We put our livelihoods on the line to play. Some members managed to make their dreams come true. In the end, I can't blame them for choosing real life. Astra though...' he glanced back at the Aasimar who was staring at the walls as they walked. Like she was trying burn every detail of this place into her memory. 'Astra came here to live. To have a life, free from her illness. But now, it'll be over for both her and the guild.'