Chapter 50

I was floating on Cloud nine. Nathaniel and I had found our way back to eachother, and I had finally admitted my love for him. He was everything I remembered; he was perfect, beautiful, humorous, romantic-I stopped day dreaming. I stood in mutual horror as I had somehow forgotten the biggest issue in the picture.

Nathaniel was getting married.

I stared at Karen and Nathaniel clearly in a heated discussion. Karen seemed angry, using her hands for emphasis. They stood privately against one of the brick buildings of an auditorium. I nervously pulled on my side braid, regret and sadness pulsing through my veins. I never should have kissed him. I never should have let him in again. I never should have let myself fall in love oncemore.

I swallowed, watching Nathaniel press his lips together and look at the ground. They didn't say anything for a moment, until Karen's eyes finally met mine. I started to turn away, humiliated and guilty for overseeing a private conversation, and for kissing her fiancé.

I walked away quickly, headed to the only place I could think of. But before that, I sat in my car dazed. A strange thought jumped in my head.

And before I could talk myself out of it, I found myself pulling into the Hellen O'brier Foster Home. I noticed lone toys on the lawn, and shadows of children passing in the windows.

I took a breath, slipping out of my car and heading down the familiar pathway to the front door. Knocking three times, I held my hands in a clasped position and waited. The door suddenly swung open, revealing a boy around fourteen.

His bored expression was replaced with a flirtatious smile, as he crossed his arms and leaned against the doorframe with a quick glance at my chest. "Well, helooo."

I cracked a smile. "Hi. Is Hellen here?"

The boy stared dreamily at me, and murmured, "Who cares.."

I let out a laugh, when suddenly a familiar chuckle came from behind the door. "Oh, Jake. Stop it-"

She stopped short, her eyebrows crinkling. "Can I help you?"

I parted my lips. "Hi. I'm sure you don't remember me-"

"Lindsey?" Hellen asked, shocked. "I can't believe it-why, you've certainly grown into a beautiful woman!"

She bombarded me with a bear hug. "Come in!"

I smiled, stepping through the door and looking around. Everything was exactly the same, except some improvements were made. New paintings hung on the wall, and furniture added to a more comfier feeling. Older looking children around the age of nine, to fourteen clouded the living room.

She motioned me into the kitchen. "I have apple juice-I know you used to love it."

I smiled in appreciation. "Thanks, that sounds great."

Hellen nodded, pulling the container out of the fridge and pouring me a glass. She got herself some water, and sat down across from me.

"So? Tell me-how have you been?" She asked, sipping water.

I wrapped my hands around the glass, nodding. "Well, I go to NYU. I'm studying Law."

Hellen's lips parted in shock. "That's wonderful. How's Lucy?"

I was surprised she remembered. There were so many kids that she signed away for adoption. "She's good. Everyone's great, to be honest. How are you?"

She half-shrugged. "Well, I could be better. But I'm sticking in there."

I raised a concerned eyebrow.

"Oh, it's nothing." She let out a nonchalant laugh, than looked at me with a neutral smile. "I've been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. The Doctors have just started Kemo a couple months ago, so we're keeping our fingers crossed; but they don't seem confident in my life expectancy.