Chapter 4

My room is enormous, and the carpet is so plush my toes could get caught in the piles. I do a twirl as I pass the empty walk-in wardrobe and enter the amazing ensuite with its spa bath that overlooks the district. 

These three rooms combined are almost as big as my mother's entire house.

I throw myself back on the king-size bed. 

I was expecting a room with a bed and nothing else. My sisters will freak out when they see this place. I tap away at my phone and send pics to my family. As expected, they're jealous.

But I'd forgo it all to be in Marcus' bed with him on top or beneath me right now.

After thinking over Rico's rules, I pull myself up on the side of the bed and decide it's time to show him what I think of his rules.  

I check the time on my phone, 10.15 pm. 

Ok. Here goes nothing.

Once I open my bedroom door and peek out to see the hallway empty, I step out of my room, shut the door, and then head towards the lift. It's quiet up here on the second level, but I can still hear movement coming from the ground floor. 

I stop at the stairs and look down, giving security a wave as he stares up at me with a blank expression. From there, I head for the shut door right by the stairs case. I knock and within a brief moment, a shirtless Rico in grey sweatpants and wet hair opens the door.  

His green eyes widen, and he looks unamused to see me at his door. 

"Opps!" I say biting my bottom lip. "I'm positive Phil said this was the share room where the extra blankets were kept. And just so you know, this has nothing to do with me trying to break your rule number 3." Then I back away from doorway with a cheeky grin as I say, " I swear...  Good night now."  

By 1am, I'm tucked up in bed and watching Netflix, when I hear a tap on my door. 

I push the covers back, nervous and wondering who it is. "Who's there?" 

"It's Phil. Could I speak with you, Alexis, please?"

What the hell, it's after midnight. 

I open the door a couple of inches to see Phil's face. "What's wrong?"

"Rico, request a brief meeting with you."

"Now," I gasp. "It's after midnight and I'm in bed. I thought he wanted to keep his distance from me."

"Yes, well, I told him what you wanted me to tell him." His brow rises. "Now he wants to talk to you directly. I warned you about antagonizing him, and now that you have, well, you'll have to face him and hear his response."

"Which is?"

Phil shrugs. "No idea, but it won't be good. So, if you will, please follow me downstairs."

Oh shit. 

What have I gone and done? Now I'm scared I've gone too far and about to face Rico's wrath. Sometimes I don't know when to keep my mouth shut.

Since I didn't think to bring a dressing gown, I leave my room dressed in boxer shorts and a singlet but without a bra.

I follow Phil downstairs to the large kitchen where several people are sitting around a long table eating pizza. Chatter in the room stops and heads turn to look at me. 

Talk about awkward.

I feel like I'm in serious trouble and about to face the repercussions of my outburst. I stand an arm's distance from the bench where Rico stands with his head down, the front of his hair hanging out from beneath his hoodie as he spreads mayonnaise over bread.