Let The Sun In

About time I did something fluffy. Don't worry, there is plenty more angst to come!

TW; Mentions of past abandonment, but mainly fluff

Summary; Ellie reminisces on the past

-

Y/n nuzzled into Ellie's side, a slight snore falling from behind her lips. Ellie yawned, not moving her eyes from her comic, or her hand from Y/n's hair. Her gaze stayed locked on her comic book as Y/n once again tossed and turned. Somehow, she ended up with her head resting on Ellie's chest, arm draped around Ellie's waist. Ellie knew that even in her sleep she was listening to her heartbeat. It was something she did a lot. Hell, Ellie did it too. Sometimes hearing the heartbeat of the one you love is all the reassurance you need, especially in this world. It lets you know that they're still alive and with you.

Finally, Ellie's eyes drifted from her book to her girlfriend. They stayed glued there as Ellie admired every feature of the sleeping girl in front of her. A strand of h/c hair fell into Y/n's face, prompting Ellie to gently push it out of the way. Y/n's lip curved into a slight smile, before once again returning to a neutral expression. Ellie couldn't help but smile widely. She loved her girlfriend more than Y/n knew. It ripped Ellie's heart away that Y/n couldn't even love herself. Her heart was so full with the love for Jackson and it's people, that she just didn't have room to love herself. Even with Y/n being such a caring person, Ellie could see the people who she kept closest to her. Jesse, Joel, Dina, and herself. But, Ellie wasn't jealous or insecure in that area, because she knew that Y/n loved her so much that she would probably have killed herself without Ellie.

On instinct, Ellie tightened her grip around Y/n. It was a natural feeling to want to protect the girl, especially after her history.

Y/n had spent so long of her life alone. By herself. She was only 4 when her parents abandoned her in a clicker infested building out of fear that they themselves wouldn't survive if they brought her along. Y/n, just like Ellie, had been born into this world, but unlike Ellie, didn't get the comfort of a single home for a very long time.

Y/n had got lucky that a group of friendly survivors had found her. They were looting the place when they saw a toddler on the verge of crying. Nobody knew anything about her, where she came from, if she was alone or not, but despite that they took her with them. They had been haunted knowing that if she would have started crying, the clickers would have got to her, and they would have had to put down a baby runner.

They took care of her until she was 6, teaching her everything they knew. They even named her, not knowing her roots or anything. She had the mind of a survivor, but still only the heart of a child. Because that's what she was. A child. She still had the natural instinct to play where she shouldn't, and cry if she scraped her knee.

And despite their better judgement, they taught her how to shoot a gun. They knew if anything ever happened to them, she would at least know how to protect herself.

And it was a good thing they did, because only weeks after teaching her to shoot, they were ambushed by a group of not so happy survivors looking to rob them. Y/n had stayed hidden as she had been instructed to, but she saw it all.

And since then, she had been alone. All alone. A 6 year old kid in an infected world trying to survive.

10 years later, when she was 16 years old, she had encountered a lone survivor trying to fend a horde off. She was surrounded, and her horse wasn't very far away. Y/n took it upon herself to help the survivor, nearly getting shot in the process. She even lost her footing and stumbled into a bear trap after the horde of about 14 was all killed.

Another girl rode up on horseback, clearly out of breath. She had her gun aimed at Y/n, but stopped steady when her friend – the girl Y/n helped – advanced towards her, wanting to return the favor.

The duo helped Y/n out, and knew they needed to take her back to their home.

It turned out, those girls were Ellie and Dina, and they took Y/n home, home to what she now knows is Jackson. A home. She finally, finally, had a home.

And so Ellie smiled at the memory. She never in a million years thought she'd score a girl like Y/n. She felt like she was so out of league. And yet, here she is, holding her soulmate close to her heart, letting her know that unlike her parents, she would never leave Y/n.

And as the final ray of light starts to shine through the window, Ellie can feel Y/n stirring against her touch. It was a new day. But none of that mattered. Ellie held Y/n close. All she wanted to do, was let Y/n know that she would never have to be alone again.