He Knows

They had darted out of the car and into the hallway when there grandpa pulled into the garage. Fern and Abony had then opened the bathroom door and locked it. Now, they were squeezing into the cabinet. Half of it was full with dusty toilet paper and the other half was empty.

Abony had the advantage, she was smaller and shorter. Fern had to duck her head down uncomfortably.

"This is squashy than I expected," growled Fern. She shifted. And before Abong could reply, a knock came from the door.

"Girls. Your milk is ready." It was their grandpa. The door knob wiggled slightly as he tried to open it, but he couldn't for it was locked.

"How?" sputtered Fern quietly. "How did he know?"

Abony simply shrugged in response. They both say stuff and alert, listening to what the man outside would do next. To their complete shock and surprise, they heard his footsteps recede down the hall. And he was gone.

"He left!" squealed Abony. She clawed at Fern's arms.

Fern pulled away and hissed, "Stop stating the obvious - and he left because he doesn't think we're in here. He thinks we're somewhere else now. Good job."

Abony smiled happily.

What seemed like hours, they waited in silence. And still, they heard no noise of their grandpa from outside.

"I'm getting bored, Fern", "I have homework, Fern", and "When can we go, Fern" was all Fern heard in these long moments. These long, unbearable moments. But she said nothing, until now. "Be quiet, Abony! Just a little longer."

Abony groaned and said something new, "But my bones are so stiff!"

Fern thought about this for a second. Both of them were still crammed inside the cabinet. They sweaty bodies pressed against each other. "Okay fine!" she cried, giving in to Abony's protests. "Get out!"

Fern and Abony scrambled out as soon as one of them kicked open the door. They hit their heads and elbows against the wood of the cabinet until finally both were free.

Abony ran towards the door and was about to unlock when Fern whispered, "Get away, Abony! You're too loud. You are going to alert him. Follow me and my every step. And make sure you are silent."

The black-haired girl nodded and stepped aside. She just wanted to get out. To go out and drink her milk. Abony watched intently as Fern unlocked the door and creaked it ajar.

"It's clear," she continued to say and started walking out of the bathroom. She beckoned Abony to follow slowly.

Once they got to the living room, both stopped in their tracks; mouths wide.

They couldn't believe what they saw. Their grandpa was on the small brown couch sleeping. Sleeping. Sleeping and snoring slightly. Their cups of milk sat abandoned and cold on the counter. They had been sitting there for nothing in the cabinet.

But Fern would not believe their work was for nothing. "He probably gave up." She shook her head sadly.

Abony's bones were just taunting her. You sat there for nothing! You sat there for nothing!