The Henchman's Plan

Abony and Fern darted from the car. They ran to the bathroom in the hallway and locked it. But they didn't go into it. Instead, they continued in the opposite direction and raced to be master bedroom. They then scurried into the master bathroom, shut the door and locked it.

"I'm almost crying," whispered Fern.

Abony put a finger to her lips. "Shush," she hissed, pressing her ear against the door.

Fern glared at her cousin. "I give out evil orders. You don't."

They both then turned, and eyed the door warily. "Do you think he will know?" Abony asked, she was becoming excited, nervous, and anxious all at once.

Fern scoffed. "Of course not! He will think that we're still in the other bathroom. I'm a genius!! Er-I mean we're geniuses."

Abony rolled her eyes; but soon enough, they hear a distant knock coming from down the hall. "Come out!" their grandpa called. "Your milk is going to turn cold."

They had done it. Abony's plan had worked. The Henchman's Plan. It was beautiful. A piece of work. Something the two would look back on a smile.

No knock came to the bathroom door they were hiding behind. "Yes!" they exclaimed together and high-fives. But they spoke to soon.

Knock, knock, knock!

Abony and Fern froze. How in the world did he-

"Girls!" shouted their grandpa, right outside the door. "Open up!!"

Abony whispered to Fern, "Should we open it?"

"Be quiet!" Fern snapped at her older cousin.

Abony stuck out her lower lip at her younger cousin habit.

"Fern, you must respect your elder," the black-haired girl tried. She puffed out her chest indignantly.

Fern's head snapped to look at her cousin. "Just because you're older than me doesn't mean I have to listen to you. Plus, you're my henchman. I'm the villain." Fern's death glare worked successfully like it always did on Abony. Abony dipped her head anxiously.

"But -"

A voice from outside interrupted their conversation, "When I say open up, you have to open up!" Fern and Abony grimace at their grandpas stern voice. They could tell he was more annoyed than usual.

Abony teetered nervously where she stood and Fern huffed, annoyed. Before another knock could ring out, the black-haired girl plunged towards the doorknob and threw it open. She looked up, meeting - at full contact - her grandpa's eyes.

Their grandpa turned around and head back out to the kitchen area. "Come ," he called, calming down. "Your milk is ready."