Chapter 5

After a sleepless night, I woke late after worrying about my safety now that I'm at the Mancini estate. 

I may be in a drug dealer's paradise, but I'm also too scared to go downstairs and face anyone after last night's embarrassing encounter with Rico in the kitchen.

 So, I stay in my room, more hungry than thirsty since I didn't eat dinner last night.

By midday, I'm showered and dressed, but still haven't ventured out my door. I wish I could fast forward a week and get past the anxiety I have about being here. But now, to make matters worse, I have the club opening to attend with Rico.

 I still can't get my head around the club being named after me.

 Why did Grey do that? I guess I'll never know?

Either way, so much has happened since then: Grey's dead; Marcus is gone, and Rico is my new husband. And wishing things were different isn't about to change my situation. I'm here, and now I need to deal with the Mancini's, even if this isn't the dream I envisioned or the man I envisioned myself with.

I pick at my nails, wondering what his family thinks of our nuptials. No doubt they know I'm not the women he loves, but just the pain he had to marry. 

I end up falling asleep and then being woken by a soft knock. 

"Coming," I call out.

 I slide from the bed and rush to the door. As soon as I pull it open and see Nonna's smiling face staring back at me, I smile.

"I've been waiting for you to come downstairs. Are you ok, dear?"

My eyes drop and I shrug. 

Now would be the time to tell her I'm on guard and not sure how to navigate my life here as Rico's pretend wife. 

"I'm nervous... and Rico isn't happy I'm here. And I understand why since I'm a stranger in your home... and yet we're bound by a marriage, but we have nothing between us." I shrug. "As complicated as it is, I feel like an intruder, especially now that I'm in your family home and personal space."

She takes my hand and pats it. "Oh, pooh. You're not an intruder. You, my dear, are family—legally, might I add. And who cares what anyone thinks? Rico married you. So, I want you to come downstairs. Hiding yourself away from everyone will only make this harder for you. Your husband is hard and distant, but it's not because of you. This is how he's been for many years, ever since his parents died. But don't let his behavior put you off meeting the rest of the Mancini family."

I pick at my nail and peek up at Nonna as I do. "They wanna meet me?"

Nonna laughs. "Of course they do. Now come downstairs for lunch. You must be half starved by now?"

She's right, hiding myself away because I'm too scared to face anyone is silly. Even if Rico doesn't want me around, I need to figure out my place here—at least while I'm living under this roof. 

So, I nod and say, "You're right. I need to face this situation instead of worrying about it. Thank you."

Her little nose wrinkles as she pats my shoulder. "Good. Now come downstairs and have some lunch."

Within a couple of minutes, I am following Rico's grandmother into the massive kitchen and dining room.

 That's when I see the Mancini family staring back at me from the large wooden table—at least 14 people. 

I am not an introvert, but since arriving here, I've become one. I couldn't dazzle this crowd if they forced me to. And not knowing their views on our marriage is another cause for concern. Maybe I should assume the worst and hope for the best.