Chapter III

Bright lights. That's all that was in my blurred vision. I was cold and I had this strange stinging sensation on my stomach.

I tried to run my eyes to clear my vision, but I couldn't. Was i strapped down? I started to freak out. I heard beeping coming from somewhere in the room, and it was starting to increase. A door opened and closed.

"Miss Baker. Calm down its alright." A masculine voice spoke. But I couldn't calm down. I have no idea where I am nor who this person is.

My vision finally cleared and I saw what looked like a doctor sitting in a chair beside, a bed? Am I in a hospital? He smiled and picked up a clipboard. I looked at his name tag and it read G. Turner.

"You suffered from minor injuries aside from the gash in your stomach an-" "Wait what?!" I interrupted. If my mom were here, she would be scolding me for rudely interrupting someone. Speaking of which, where is my mom?

Taking the interruption to my advantage, I asked the doctor where my mother was. "Oh.... Well. She is in intensive care at the moment. She suffered 3 broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, and a severe head injury."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My own mother is on the verge of dying. At least that's what it felt like. My breath hitched as I stared blankly at a wall in the room. I was snapped out of my trance when I heard the doctor clear his throat.

"Anyways. You should be fine, you'll be released in about 4 days. Now get some rest." The doctor said. I nodded and laid back down slowly. I looked around for my phone and found it on a nearby table face down. I got up and grabbed it. It too was damaged. 3 cracks, great.

I laid back down and texted Gina. 'I wonder if she knows' I thought to myself. 4 missed calls from Gina and 7 from Darren.

Me: Sorry I didn't call you back
Gina: Tonya! Wth?! Where are you?! I stopped by your house and you haven't been there for 2 days!

2 days?! That's how long I've been here?! Holy shit!

Me: Don't freak out but I'm in the hospital
Gina: Oh my gosh! I'm on my way there!

I set my phone down on my stomach but instantly regretted it. Wincing, I set my phone under my pillow and ever so slightly, lifted my shirt up. Yup, the doctor wasn't kidding. It started under my right breast, and ran all the way down to my belly button.

"Holy shit." I mumbled to myself. I pulled my shirt back down as I heard the door open. I looked to see a familiar redhead. Gina.

"Oh. My. Gosh. Tonya you look terrible." Gina said, her eyes wide. I gave her a small smile and shifted to a more comfortable position. Gina pulled up a chair to the bedside, pulling her phone out.

"I thought you were here to see me, not get in your phone." I laughed. "I'm texting Darren to get his ass down here. He's been worried more than I have." Gina replied. He was worried about me? I felt heat rise in my cheeks and stared at my hands.

Gina seemed to notice because her face lit up like a Christmas tree. "No way! You like Darren?!" Gina exclaimed. I looked at her, my eyes wide. "No I don't!" "Yes you do! That blush says it all!" Gina retorted. There's no turning back now. I was caught.

"Ok yes I like him, but don't say a word to him about it!" I said pointing my finger at her. She held her hands up in defense. "I won't, I promise." I smiled in response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darren showed up in 5 minutes flat, which was pretty quick for him because he lives 15 minutes away from the hospital.

I told both Gina and Darren what happened, and they were shocked. Both of them were speechless after I told them everything.

"Is your mom ok?" Darren asked. I bit my lip trying to keep my tears from spilling. "She's... She's in intensive care." I said sadly. Gina looked as if she was about to cry, while Darren gave me an apologetic look.

I got a sudden interest in my hands because while they were here, I've done nothing but look at my hands. Darren came and hugged me. He smelled so good, and it was amazing having his arms wrapped around me.

But sadly, all good things must come to an end. He say back down next to Gina, and it stayed quiet for a while. As I was about to say something, I was cut off by the sound of nurses and doctors rushing past my room. Gina got up and looked out the window to see what was going on.

She turned around and shrugged her shoulders. I picked my phone up to look at the time. 11:38 pm. "You can go to sleep if you want." Darren said. "We're gonna stay here until you get out." I smiled at Darren, basically telling him thank you. Then I dozed off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of the door opening, and was greeted by the doctor. He looked exhausted. He had barely visible bags under his eyes. He gave me an apologetic look.

"Hello miss baker. How are you feeling?" He asked. I gave a small nod. He smiled and looked over at Gina and Darren. "I see you have visitors." He said, sitting down in a chair opposite from my friends. "Yeah." I answered.

He sighed. "Sadly that's not what I came in here for." He said almost apologetically. I tilted my head in curiosity. He sat at the edge of the chair looking directly at me.

"You're mothers heart rate dropped tremendously. We tried everything we could." No. He's not saying what I think he's saying.

The doctor took a deep breath, then exhaled. "Y-Your mother passed on.