Chapter 2

Midoriya's body hurts.

    But the pain is something he's quickly becoming used to. Or maybe my arms are just becoming numb. He thinks, covering his face with his arm just in time to block another kick. It's almost their third month of training behind Tadashi's house, and still. The older man keeps surprising Midoriya with a frustrating ease. His strategies seem to change every month, generally adjusting the moment when the teen thinks he's made some progress.

    Especially since all of this is hinging on Midoriya being able to impress this man. Impress Tadashi enough that maybe, just maybe, the man will help him achieve his dreams. But after eighty-five days of being beaten into the dirt —

    A punch to the face interrupts his train of thought. I still have to prove myself to him. Midoriya thinks as he narrowly avoids a punch. Tadashi's ring splits open his cheek as Midoriya drops, and punches the man's stomach. It's like punching a wall. Is the last thing he's able to think, before being promptly thrown by his shoulder. The teen hits the concrete hard but is on his feet in the next moment.

       "What? No tears this time?" Tadashi mocks as Midoriya attacks again. If only I were faster! He thinks as he is sent flying back to the ground. He forces himself to his feet slowly as Tadashi raises a hand.

       "That's enough for now." He says flippantly as he tosses him a bottle of water. Midoriya catches it instinctively, blinking dumbly at the other man. We're done? He couldn't remember the last time they only stopped after three hours. Maybe he's in a good mood or —

       "You're getting better at taking hits. I actually had to use force to put you down."

       "Really? I've been trying to shorten the time it takes for me to counterattack. You're... really fast. Do you use your quirk to increase your speed?" Midoriya asks him as they go back inside.

       "No. I rarely use resonance for my legs. In that way." Tadashi responds and pulls up a pantleg. Starting at his ankle, he has black fabric encompassing both feet. Resonance was the given name for Tadashi's quirk; an instinctive ability to build costumes based off the given personality.

       "I use it for strength most of the time. My personality is the most compatible with strength based techniques." He explains and grabs Midoriya's arm. His pupils dilate as his fingers tighten on the teen's bicep.

       "But it was hard, thinking of what to build for someone as insane as you are." he mutters and excitement washes through Midoriya.

       "You'll build me something?" He asks excitedly, smiling wide as Tadashi drops his arm.

       "I'll build you a test suit, and see how well you do." He responds noncommittally.

       "Ok! I won't let you down!" Midoriya promises as his mentor sits down.

       "Yeah, sure kid. Did you do your other homework?"

       "Um, yeah," Midoriya says as he goes through his bag, and removes his notebook.

       "I've been looking at two heroes, The Warp, and The White Hand. Both of them have problems......"

       "But?"

       "I....don't think it's necessary to kill dysfunctional heroes."

      "Do you think Lightning Mind would've stopped killing without intervention." It isn't a question but Midoriya still responds.