Food Proposal Draft

What (School) Should Add to Their Menu to Include Others.
(Author / Your name)

  Why are students of different cultures not agreeing with school lunches? What could the schools do to support their students at lunch? This text will talk about how schools might not support other cultures in their community and why they should change the menus.

Schools are around the world and most don't recognize the other cultures in the community. There are multiple cultures around the world and they be hard to keep track of, but that doesn't mean the schools shouldn't try to put effort into the lunches. Most cultural restrictions or cultural practices are easily ignored at most schools which can make it hard for students to eat. If schools looked into their menus a bit more I would think more students would enjoy the meals they serve. The more students that enjoy the meals, the more possible chance the students work at school, connect to others, and the students get to learn about different backgrounds and histories of other cultures. The more schools recognize the different cultures in their community the more those students can eat without breaking their cultural restrictions. Schools might say that "food is expensive" or "most kids would eat anyway," and other counterarguments that could contain some truth, but fail. Schools should add various items to their menus, such as adding vegetarian options or fish meals.

While diving deeper into this situation I have come upon many articles. One article has caught my eye, it is an article that describes why food is one of the best ways to teach kids about culture by Vivian Gatica Lopez. Vivian Lopez states that "They hear about each other's foods and cultures and understand why that recipe is important to them, why that recipe was created in terms of foods that they use, and what its relevance is to their communities." Vivian Lopez's article also had stated, "Food is such a connector for everybody." Vivian Lopez's article has another stating that "Similarly, Anthony Rizzi, Head Chef at The Salvation Army Harbor Light Center in San Francisco, California, also works to expose others to diverse flavors. He cooks for adults fighting addiction, but acknowledges the importance of early childhood exposure to international cuisine. His culinary influences stem."

Schools may have a concern about the cost of this change, but, that school could do an outdoor fundraiser or start a food program with the different foods. The students could help with bringing more different cultural food by paying for food, or they could do a pizza party fundraiser, meaning that the students bring money and the class with the most donated money gets a pizza party.

[Your Name]Signature

448 words

(Planner will be in next chapter)