Stuck Together (Ch. 5.a)

Thumbnail is very crappy. Yes I'm aware. By the way, this chapter has 0 angst. Just mentions of what happened.

"Hey- Hey!"

"Don't touch that!"

The cakehounds and wolves stopped rummaging through the rations, looked at the cookie and decided to flee. They ran out the hole they made in the tent and took the bags with them, all while GingerBrave was about to snatch them back with his cane. Though he managed to only get one.

"..and that's where this little fella came from. It's quite sad how the others left him here."

They all looked at the little brown cakehound, which in return sat still and firm as a rock, terrified by the cookies surrounding him.

"Amazing. It's the first day of our adventure!.. and most of our rations have been stolen by a pack of cakehounds.. Such astounding progress."

Wizard pointed out in clear annoyance. Madeleine remembered waking up to Espresso trying to leave their tent at sunrise. He urged him to go back to sleep and the more he denied, the more he got frustrated. Knowing he didn't sleep regularly, he took advantage of their situation by being able to force him to sleep.

"Espresso Cookie, didn't you hear a noise way early this morning?"

"I have, indeed."

"Why didn't you say so when you accidentally woke me up, then?"

Espresso Cookie sighed and crossed his arms.

"You did not let me elaborate further. That's why."

"You should have told me! May I add that you could have also just stepped out when I was sleeping?"

"Again, I-"

He paused, deep in thought. If he continued defending his reasoning, the arguing would go on until mid-day. Staying silent, he didn't say another word before Madeleine decided to speak up unintentionally.

"I guess we are only eating cakehound today."

The cakehound raised his ears, looking even more terrified than before.

"No. Though, the not stolen rations aren't going to last more than a day."

He looked slowly at the cakehound, who was backing up behind GingerBrave. He finally concluded that they would have to look for more food. Their water supply was fine, thankfully, so they just needed to find something that would keep them from starving for at least another
3 days.

"Why were there cakehounds near this area anyway? This is quite the open space after all. Usually, they don't stray too far from the woods."

"It could've been the shaking from yesterday."

They all decided that they would've found something by the end of the day, so only Espresso and Madeleine (again) went to look out not too far from their camp. Madeleine also made a trap, big enough for any cakehounds and cakewolves that would try to come back and of course, Espresso had to make sure it would stay tight and unescapable until they returned. Leaving the other three cookies to protect the camp, they all sat quietly around the dark spot from the fire from the other night, waving to the others who were distancing far into the tall grass.
Wizard wished he packed a book too other than his own rations and a few more essentials. Small talk wasn't entirely his thing either and he doubted it was Strawberry's, too. Of course, it wouldn't be easy to talk about anything other than all that had happened, which was perfectly demonstrated by GingerBrave.