One: Fantasies

You'll notice a big chunk of this is from a one shot I did called Between the Stacks which is what inspired me to expand it into a whole story. It's going to be very fluffy with some smut. Enjoy!

—————

The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled Hannah's nose as she stood in line waiting her turn to put in her order. This was her Sunday ritual. Get her favourite overly sweet latte from the little coffee shop on the corner, then enjoy it on the 6-block walk to her favourite bookstore. It was Hannah's way of resetting before the work week, and it was honestly the day she looked forward to the most.

"Next please," the barista announced.

Hannah stepped forward with a friendly smile and made her order. After paying, she stepped to the side and waited for her coffee to be ready.

After a couple minutes, passing the time by watching people sitting at small tables near the windows, she heard her name being called. The barista handed over her drink telling her to have a nice day. She smiled to return the kindness and went on her way.

———————-

It was a beautiful fall day. The sun was shining brightly, taking the chill off the morning and warming Hannah's skin gently. She finished her coffee as she began to approach the book store, so she discarded the empty cup in a nearby trash can.

Taking a deep breath, Hannah turned her face up to the sun and smiled softly. She felt so at peace and calm in that moment. The streets around her were still quiet, but starting to wake up after a busy Saturday night.

A sudden car horn honking snapped her from her brief reverie, and she sighed as she turned toward the door of the book store. Barnes Books. It had been Hannah's favourite place since she first stumbled upon it a few months ago, and hadn't missed a Sunday with Daphne, who worked the morning shift and kept her company as she wandered through the shelves.

A little bell tinkled as she pushed through the entrance, the familiar scent of new books greeting her. She definitely didn't need any new books, her shelves at home were overloaded with titles that she still hadn't even opened yet. So today Hannah thought she would just look around a little bit then head home.

"Morning, miss. You're here early this morning." The deep voice startled her a bit, only because it was definitely male, not the female voice she was expecting.

Seeing him come out from the back room, she smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I uh, usually come in around this time on a Sunday. Daphne not working today?"

"Nope, she is away this weekend, so I'm covering for her." He stepped towards her with an outstretched hand. You caught his eyes, which were a captivating shade of grey-blue. "James Barnes, but everyone calls me Bucky." He grinned, and Hannah couldn't help but widen her smile.

"Nice to meet you. Wait, Barnes... is this your shop?" She asked, seemingly putting the pieces together.

He nodded and chuckled. "It is, and I usually don't work weekends. So that must be why I have never met you before."

Hannah felt her face heat slightly, and glanced down at the floor. He was cute. No, that wasn't a good enough word for him. He was a dream. It wasn't just his eyes, which seemed to pull you in so deep that you got lost in them. It was his chestnut brown hair that was expertly styled so it looked like he just rolled out of bed. The way the fabric of his Henley stretched over his chest and arms told you that he definitely spent time at the gym.

As her eyes snapped back up to his after roving over his body, she caught him flexing his left hand, which was a dark metal. Hang on, was this...

Bucky cleared his throat to pull her attention away from his hand and gestured around the store. "So, what are you looking for this morning?"

Hannah glanced around briefly and spotted her usual haunt, the fiction section, which then slowly morphed into the romance section. "Not really looking for anything in specific, but I'll just go wander around if that's okay."

Smiling, he grabbed a nearby stack of books and started arranging them on an empty table. "Of course. Just let me know if you need anything."

Mumbling her thanks, she started wandering through the shelves, getting lost in the titles. How did she not realize that this place was owned by Bucky Barnes? The Winter Soldier! Hannah had heard all about him in the news over the years, and his close relationship with Captain America. Why did one of the Avengers own a book store?

Time passed without notice as she entered into the romance section of the book store. One title in particular caught her attention, so she picked it up off the shelf and started reading the back. Ah, this looked like one of those 'spicy books' her friends were always telling her about. Hannah did enjoy them on lonely Friday nights, but all they did was make her feel more lonely.

"That's a pretty popular one, so I don't think you'll go wrong." Bucky appeared from around the corner, glancing at the book in her hand. Hannah jumped at the sudden sound of his voice, and brought her hand to her chest, dropping the book onto the floor.

He laughed and moved to pick up the book, slipping it back onto the shelf where she had taken it from. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you. Do you read romances a lot?"

She shook her head. "Not usually. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I will, but fantasies are more my style."

Bucky tilted his head and lifted an eyebrow at her statement.

Hannah gasped at the realization of what she had said and clapped a hand over her mouth. "Oh my gosh that is not what I meant! I meant fantasy books! Like with dragons and stuff."

He laughed and shook his head. "I knew what you meant."

She dropped her hand from her mouth and laughed. "I guess owning a book store you would understand. So, I have a question for you."

Bucky smirked. "Alright, but I have a question for you first."

"Okay. You go first then."

"What is your name?" He asked sheepishly.

Hannah smiled and extended her hand. "I'm Hannah."

He took her hand in his and shook it firmly. His fingers wrapped around hers delicately, and his hand was so warm. Feeling her cheeks heating, Hannah dropped her hand.

Bucky moved his hands into his pockets, and nodded towards her. "So what was your question?"

"Right. I'm sorry, but I do know who you are, and what you do. How did you come to own a book store?"

———————-

There's the beginning! Bucky and Hannah are going to be super cute. So get ready to swoon over our favourite metal armed man! 💙
Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote, comment and share!