Chapter Four

Brienne awoke to a noisy clatter outside her window. She hastily scurried up onto her feet and stared out the thick glass. Two men with scruffy beards and tired eyes were carrying chairs, while three other men ( also scruffy and tired ) heaved long tables for the lords and ladies of Westeros. Brienne just frowned at the rude awakening and sat in her chair. She put her elbows on the table, her head held in her palms, facedown to the dark glossy wood. In the center of Brienne's vision was a letter. This was a new letter, it was not here when she went to bed. Her frown deepened upon the sight. It did not look like a raven had sent it. Someone either delivered it by hand or it it was a person in King's Landing. She hoped it was not either, really. Letters are never good news.

"Dark wings, dark words." She muttered under her breath, although the message was obviously not from a raven. The seal of the envelope was just red wax with a dot. Someone who wished to be anonymous or someone who was not highborn. She opened the pure white envelope carefully, breaking the wax in the process, and pulled out a small note.

Dearest Brienne,

I need to speak with you. It's quite urgent, as a matter of fact. Please, meet me in the godswood, before the wedding begins. I'll explain what's happening when you arrive. Hurry, for today is a busy day, but I just can't wait any longer.

~Jaime Lannister

Brienne was shocked. What would Jaime want with her? She had only spoken to him a few times after they had arrived in King's Landing. Seven hells, what couldn't possibly wait until after the wedding?! Maybe, just maybe, Jaime felt the same way about her?

 Brienne, your acting like a love struck child! Get over yourself! Jaime is in the Kingsguard, and besides, he could have any women he wanted if he wasn't sworn to the crown. You'll never be a choice, never. Brienne thought to herself. She quickly put on the blue dress. She would adjust herself later, when Jaime Lannister wasn't waiting on her foolish self.