Chapter 25: The Turnabout of Partners

(The finale of Kazuma and Barok's season! Wow! This one was longer than I thought, but it is finally done! This one is a long one because, in the game, this was a two-day trial. Anyway, I think this one is a good one! Also, this was basically transitioning from their season to Sherlock's season! He's next! Enjoy!)

(Ryunosuke's POV)

Courtroom, Lobby

March 20th, 9:00 AM

              I was standing in the lobby, waiting for my client to arrive. However, it did feel strange to not be here with Susato-san, but Holmes-san seemed insistent on this. He even forbid Kazuma from coming to trial as well. I've never seen him this upset. I am grateful Professor Mikotoba, Inspector Gregson, and Adler-san are going to be here. I am just unsure about this trial. Something seems off.

"Ah! Mr. Naruhodō!" Dr. Dobinbough greeted warmly, "How are you fairing this fine morning? Oh, you're sad. Is everything alright? I can listen if you would like"

I was surprised by his offer as I shook my head, "No, I am fine. I just have a lot on my mind. It will not affect my performance of defending you in today's trial"

"If you're sure" the doctor said calmly, "After all, I hear talking it out is better than keeping it in"

There's some truth to that, I believe that. If I am honest, I believe I miss Susato-san at my side. It is thanks to her I am where I am today. I hope she's not upset and watching from the gallery. I shook my head again. I have to be prepared for this. I cannot afford to lose focus.

"I just miss my partner" I answered him, "She won't be here today, and my best friend isn't allowed to stand in the trial today"

"Oh, I'm sorry" he replied surprised, "But I am sure you'll be fine. You've done this before, and I believe in you and your skills"

I smiled at him and thanked him for his confidence in me.

"CULPRIT! DEFENSE! TRIAL IS ABOUT TO BEGIN!" the bailiffs said in unison and obtained our attention.

It is time once again. I can do this. I maybe standing alone in court, but I will not be alone in spirit.

"Let's go, Dr. Dobinbough. I shall prove your innocence in court" I promised him as we stepped into the courtroom together.

Courtroom, Old Bailey

March 20th, 9:10 AM

Standing in the grand courtroom by myself is something else. The intimidating aura from it as many government officials overlook us and determine our skills. It is something I will never be used to. Across from me stood Lord Van Zieks, his arms crossed over his chest and his eyes closed. He asked for my help in this trial. I hope I can be of some help to him. The judge took to his seat and slammed his gavel to quiet the courtroom.

"Court is now in secession for the trial Doctor Benjamin Dobinbough. Are both sides ready?" he asked seriously, "This trial is held to the public due to it being heavily related to the World Fair"

I understood that much. I am seeing many different people in the gallery. This must've sparked an outcry of some kind.

"Yes, I am ready" I answered strongly.

"I am ready as well" Lord Van Zieks answered.

"Then please give us your opening statement" the judge asked warmly.

"The scientist in question is accused of murdering Galar's greatest mind, Dr. John H. Watson" Lord Van Zieks said as everyone seemed to be murmuring at that comment, "The scientist's invention exploded and killed Dr. Watson in front of many people at the fair. Everyone saw the machine explode"