-Prologue-

-

Screams echoed through the beautifully made building. Alexander held Avery's hand, his hold was loving and pure. He couldn't stand to see his lovely wife in pain. Her face was red and her red hair was frizzy. A thin layer of sweat shimmered on her forehead. 

Briar sat in her bedroom with her hands over her ears. She hated to hear her sister in torment. The sound seemed to vibrate from the walls, requiring more attention from the young girl. She grabbed her pillow and brought it over her head. 

She squeezed her eyes shut, she prayed for Avery's torture to come to a stop. 

"Almost their Madam," the nurse said from between Avery's legs. The baby finally started to emerge from the depths of her body. 

Alexander rested his head on the side of Avery's. He kissed her temple, "You're almost there, my love." His voice was tender and soft. She nodded and soon another scream ripped through her small body.

"One last push, Madam." The nurse said and Avery looked at her husband. "You can do it," he nodded hoping she would return the gesture. She gripped his hand tightly before nodding.

The rain banged against the windows, the walls creaked and groaned against the wind's constant assault. Another scream ripped from her mouth and the baby came from her exhausted body.

A sigh of relief flew from her lips and she rested against the bed. Alexander kissed the back of her hand. "You did it, my love." He whispered and she turned her head to face him.

Even in this state, she looked beautiful. "I, um," the nurse didn't know what to say. She patted the baby's foot, then its back, then its stomach.

Not hearing any noises Alexander turned his head towards the nurse. "What is the matter?" His voice strained, and his face turned pale.

Another nurse walked up to the baby. She put her hands out and the nurse slowly handed her the quiet child. "What's the matter?" His voice shuddered.

He looked back at his wife when her grip on his hand loosened. "Avery?" He asked his wife. Her eyes fogged over, they seemed to focus just past him. "Avery?" He asked again.

His face paled, tears welled in his blue eyes, and his heart slowed. "You're child has not survived." One nurse spoke with sorrow.

He stared at his wife and prayed that the nurse wouldn't speak her next sentence. "And neither has your wife, my lord." His body shuddered at the horrid thought.

"That's not acceptable, I do not accept lies." His tone was angry and strict. He wouldn't believe the love of his life was dead.

The door burst open and Briar stood there ready to hold her nephew/niece. "Where is he?" She had hoped for a boy. She wanted them to name it Charles. She found the name Charles to be respectable and trustworthy.

"Avery?" She questioned, noticing her sister's state. Her face soon grew pale, and her heart slowed. "Avery?" She questioned walking towards them.

Alexander pushed her away, "She is fine." She fell to the floor, he hadn't met to push her so hard. "Tell me she is alright." He demanded. "But sir, I would be lying." The nurse tried to keep her voice steady, to hide her fear.