-2-

-

'I shall go visit Penelope, her presentation was anything but...; what did the queen call you again?' Eloise asked her sister. 'Flawless,' Daphne said with every inch of pride.

'And do not forget exquisite,' Daphne added.

Briar's lady maid helped her into a different gown. "Thank you," she whispered to Cora. Cora only nodded.

"I was the most shocked that out of 200 girls the queen offered me the most gracious remark." Daphne's voice filled with disbelief.

"You were positively beautiful, that is why," Briar explained. The room was filled with chatter, and people moving about.

Briar zoned out the rest of the conversation.

•A couple of years ago•

'Briar, I just had the most wonderful night,' Avery said plopping herself down on her sister's bed. 'Well tell me all about it,' Briar sat up facing her sister.

The bed creaked as Avery got on it completely. 'You promise to tell no one?' Avery questioned and Briar nodded. Avery's face contorted to wear a beautiful smile.

Avery's heart fluttered at the thought of the night she just had. 'I met up with Alexander,' Briar's mouth opened wide in shock. 'Avery!' Briar scolded.

'Quiet down, I don't want Mama and father to hear.' Avery and Briar both shared a long moment before Avery got up running to close the door.

She jumped back onto the bed with the widest smile. 'We held hands,' Avery remembered the warm touch, and how his thumb rubbed against her knuckles.

'It was so amazing Briar,' Avery sighed. 'You're falling in love, aren't you?' Briar questioned and Avery slowly nodded. Her smile never left her face.

•Present day•

'Your dresses have arrived,' Lady Bridgerton said, breaking the trance Briar had found herself in.

She assumed Lady Bridgerton wasn't referring to her. She already had her dress ready.

Briar stood next to Eloise by the door. 'May I see?' Briar asked looking at the parchment in Eloise's hand. 'Of course.'

'Mary Edgecombe wore a similar shade last season.' Lady Bridgerton spoke, showing the beautiful dress off to her eldest daughter.

'And then secured three offers, the very next day, one from an earl' one sibling said to Daphne.

Daphnes ran her fingers against the delicate fabric, everything seemed to fall into place.