Chapter Four

Chapter Four
"The Talvok King had a... a daughter? This just isn't possible..." Tavrik trailed off as he turned his full attention to the woman before him.
     She definitely had her father's green eyes and from the paintings of the Talvok Queen, the woman had her mother's long dark curls and her mother's petite figure. He had to admit that the woman before him was more lovely than he had imagined any Talvok woman could hope to be.
"I am Princess Fayrn" the woman insisted with a frown on her face and the Prince looked at the librarian with a glare.
"Frost, why the hell didn't you pass on this little piece of information?! That is your duty. To report everything you learn about Talvok to me. This girl is the princess and that is pretty important bit of information for me to know" Prince Tavrik snarled angrily as he stepped past the small woman and the old man flinched. The tiny princess's lower lip quivered as she took in the prince's statement and she whirled around to face the old librarian with a look of betrayal in her eyes.
"Frost? What are you saying? His name is..." Giles cut her off as he stood straight and she had a pleading look in her green eyes.
"I am a Shavendral Ranger, princess. I serve Prince Tavrik and my name is Frost" Giles said guilty as he looked away and the tiny woman froze. Her eyes widened and she stared at him in horror.
"How could you?! I trusted you! You were my friend! I can't believe you!" She yelled angrily as she glared at the older man and he looked at his shoes, refusing to meet her gaze.
"Princess, I..." She cut him off as she hissed, but before she could say anything the warrior prince stepped between them.
"Frost, your duty was to infiltrate the palace and relay everything to me. You were the only one who I could trust with this, my old master. Why the hell did you hide her from me?" Tavrik roared angrily as he pointed at Fayrn and Giles sighed as he crossed his arms. He had managed to upset both young people in this room.
"She is innocent! She doesn't deserve to face the cruelties of war..." Fayrn cut Giles off as she crumpled to the floor, her gown flowering around her.
"You were a spy? The whole time I thought I could tell you anything and you ran and told the enemy everything I said!" she accused as she looked at her hands trying to wrap her head around the situation.
"What were you going to do with her? I was bound to find out" Tavrik growled in frustration as he pointed at the princess and the ranger sighed, continuing to stare at his shoes as if they were far more interesting than anything else in the room.
"I don't know... I was..." Frost trailed off as the two royals both looked at him and he scowled.
"Frost, you damn fool! This woman changes everything! She is the heir! If I kill the king then she will be Queen..." Fayrn looked up at him and cut the towering prince off.
"I can't rule" she said flatly with an annoyed look on her pale face and the warrior prince looked at her darkly.
"You won't rule. I'll make sure of that. I am going to kill you and..." Frost cut the young prince short.
"No, my lad, you don't understand! The truth is legally she has no right to the throne. Women are not allowed to rule; they are,as in our kingdom, property. In order for her to become Queen, she must marry and her husband takes the throne..." Frost trailed off as he saw Tavrik's cruel smile and the tiny young woman looked up at both men with a nervous gleam in her eyes.
"Therefore, I am useless to you. So lock me up with the rest of the nobles, but at least let me help a few people along the way." She muttered softly as she chewed her lip, obviously a little nervous around the Warrior Prince and he glared at her.
"I'm not gonna risk it. I'm just going to kill you now and prevent any headache down the road" he growled as he settled his hand on his blade and the Ranger immediately stepped forward between them.
"No, you can't kill the  princess, she's the kindest of souls. The people would be in an uproar..." The Prince cut the old ranger off as held up his hand and studied the tiny woman sitting on the floor at his feet.
"So whoever the princess weds has unquestioned right to the Talvok throne and the people will follow him?" Tavrik asked calmly and the librarian nodded.
"Woman, how old are you?" The Prince demanded and Fayrn blushed.
"I am 19 summers" she replied shakily with a look of hesitation in her eyes and the war prince smiled.
"Well I guess the answer is obvious..."He never got to finish because the sounds of battle immediately drew his attention along with everyone else in the room. The small woman before him turned her full attention to the sounds of metal on metal outside the door and the old ranger watched the doors.
Then a scream pierced the silence and Fayrn scrambled to her feet, tripping over yards of fabric as she started for the door.
"Whoa! Where the hell do you think you're going, love?" Tavrik demanded in annoyance as he grabbed Fayrn's arm and she looked at him with a scowl.
"Let me go! Someone needs my help! I am a healer and..." He interrupted her as he said, "You are staying right here. Where I can keep my eyes on you and make sure you don't disappear on me" She tried to struggle free, but his grip was too strong for her to break and she gave up with a huff. Fayrn looked up at Tavrik with sad green eyes.
"Why do you need me here? You've already conquered my homeland. You have everything you wanted. Why won't you let me ease my people's suffering and pain? I am a healer! Let me help those who need my talents! I beg of you!" She pleaded as she looked up at him and he smirked.
"Oh, but I don't have everything I want yet, love" Tavrik mused darkly as he gazed at the little princess.

AN:
I know it's not that great. Please give your thoughts. Thanks for reading. Have a great day. :D