step #2

:: Play Olivia Rodrigo's Jealousy Jealousy on repeat 

No one calls Wonwoo 'Wonu'.

You were sort of. Jealous.

Would you call it that? Maybe you'll have to search up for the symptoms of jealousy.

But you think you are, there is no other better word. You are jealous in a way that you never give much thought to, probably never will.

Wonwoo hasn't spent much time talking to people around about himself and has an impression that he doesn't even have a name—walking through the corridors and classes as if he's invisible.

You have heard that nickname only from his mother, sometimes from school friends too then, how does this girl know of such a nickname?

And also has the audacity to use it as if it's the most normal thing ever.

You hadn't been that close to him back in school either, wanting to keep yourself away from the sickness called 'books' and the better half of your memories of Wonwoo consists of him reading or teasing you about your ponytails. (They were just too small and looked like two sprouts on your head.)

But he has been around, a part of your childhood that you remember clearly. The dinners at the neighbours', the annual events where your mother cheered for Wonwoo too like his mother did for you and those are the only three years you recall going to the library in your hometown.

You didn't go, didn't have a reason to.

You wondered, why?

The answer gets clearer every time someone calls for Wonwoo and you're the one who turns.

Why?

Do you need it worded out when you found yourself following him to the library after classes?

You had no reason to, you could go back home or do something else. You could go join a club instead but you wanted to spend some time between the warmth of the books, the stench of rusted metal table rods and looking at Wonwoo.

He's usually calm, at peace and it is the same when he reads books too. But it is different at the same time. Because he would suddenly start making a face or two as if trying to make sense of what expression the author meant, maybe a subtle smile or the clasping of his tongue between his lips when he tries to sneakily underline something he likes.

Nowadays, you even wait for him to finish his basketball practice so that you can take the subway together, lying you've to study when he asks you to not wait for him.

Which is why.

You want to scoff. Because you feel like if anyone does get to call him such a nickname, it should be you.

You wouldn't like to hear that nickname out of someone else's mouth.

Someone who doesn't know that Wonwoo can't eat seafood, and takes him to a coastal restaurant. Someone who doesn't appreciate the way he talks about the things he loves and refuses to even find out why he loves it.

Someone who wouldn't appreciate Wonwoo for being himself despite hearing countless complaints and advice about his outsider ways.

Maybe you are overthinking, reading in between lines that are just meant to intersect eventually— leaving no space for your thoughts or concerns.

Hearing the question—"You know...if Wonu's single?" — the nickname out of this girl's mouth makes you want to roll your eyes.

And you wonder if you should think about this jealousy thing once.