Chapter 3: Fomalhaut, the Brightest Star

The three of us made our way to the castle. Inside the palace, I was marveled by everything I saw. The soft velvet curtain hung by the windows, the carpet crunched under our feet as we walked. At times, I could make out smells of fresh bakery in the air. Servants rushed past us, curtsying to the Queen before leaving hurriedly. Everything was new to me as I let my eyes wandered around. So this was what it was like living in a castle? That's way too luxurious than my humble little cabin in the woods.

At last, we stopped in front of a door with detailed carving on the doorframes.

"This is the Knights of Blood's headquarter." The Queen explained. I tilted my head in confusion.

"Knights of Blood? Isn't it supposed to be Juno Templars?"

She smiled. "The crest's power came from a drop of blood of the royal family. You had sworn on the blood to protect the kingdom, thus you're Knights of Blood."

"Ohhh I see." I nodded. "So this is where we will remain at our time of being as the Knight?"

"Yep!" She chirped. "Why don't you go inside? I'm sure the others are waiting to meet you."

I pushed the door open. It welcomed my intrusion with a loud protest of creak. Inside, Duke and Riviera sat across from each other. They seemed to be locked in a game of chess. The girl groaned as she ran her hand through her long, lush green hair. She was losing.

Duke lifted his violet eyes and noticed our presence. He stood up and bowed to the Queen before speaking. "It looks like we have a new member."

I was a little intimidated. I had a reason to be. Duke stood towering over us with a fierce expression on his face. A look from him could kill. Vox seemed to read my mind as he laughed and explained. "Oh don't worry, he may look all scary, but he's actually a big softie."

Duke frowned. "Oh c'mon Vox. You don't have to call me out like that."

"Captain's right you know?" The only girl of the group, Riviera came up from behind him. "Who's the little guy?"

"I'm not little! I'm Berwick, The Crimson Marksman." I introduced proudly. But everyone started laughing.

"What?" I asked, clearly confused.

"Oh you're adorable." Riviera said before pinching my cheek. I was very displeased and I made it apparent. No one ever, not even my own family, had ever pinched my cheek like that.

Duke smiled. "Quit teasing him Riviera, don't you see he doesn't seemed too happy about it?"

Vox's face was calm, but I saw a small twinkle dancing in his eyes. He was definitely amused. "He may look all small and puny," he began. "But Berwick's power was no joke. Queen Juno and myself had the honor of witnessing some of it ourselves."

Both Duke and Riviera seemed impressed. I shot Vox a grateful glance. I guess I could say that I was accepted into their small circle as the new member.

"Oh and Berwick," Queen Juno spoke, getting my attention. "I have something for you. Would you mind follow me?"

I was curious. What was she up to now?

She seemed hard to read. Definitely a lot of secrets about her that I don't know of. I may have to do a little research later once I get a chance to.

I followed her down the hall. She let me to the kingdom's armory and told me to wait for her outside. I did as I was told, wondering why I was here before she came out with a staff laying in her arms.

It looked like it was made of a special red wood found in the forest here in Granadia. There was a piece of metal attached to a sphere on the tip of the staff. Spikes framed the metal piece, and around the sphere, small bits of stars orbited around it with magic. The staff gave off a gleam under the soft sunlight of afternoon.

"Is that..... For me?" I asked in disbelief. "It's..... It's beautiful."

Queen Juno smiled. "I had the best armor maker in the kingdom to forge a weapon that is suitable for someone who uses fire magic and adores astronomy. I can see that you love it already."

I took the staff from her. It was not heavy. The metal piece and sphere made it seem like it was hard to carry around with me, but it surprisingly felt right in my hand. Just the comfortable size.

"Fomalhaut." I said. The Queen tilted her head.

"Oh, it's a star of the first magnitude and the brightest star in the constellation Piscis Austrinus." I smiled. "My first impression of the staff was that it gave off a bright shine, not to mention that the design reminded me of astronomy. So I named it Fomalhaut."

"Fomalhaut..... " She nodded. "I like the sound of it."

I ran a finger along the polished wooden body of Fomalhaut. She was beautiful. But consider that the staff was made of wood, a worry came in mind. "Won't she catch on fire though?" I asked. "I mean, she's made of wood...."

Queen Juno giggled. "Getting attached already? I'm glad you love the staff. Don't worry, rest assured. The wood was special. One of a kind in fact. No fire had ever been able to burn through the core of it so you can use it to your heart's content."

I breathed a sigh of relief. I thanked the Queen with the sincerity of my heart. No wonder why the demons loved her so much. She was a considerate ruler. She went as far as trying to figure out my hobby before having a weapon made specifically for me. I was touched and I vowed to take good care of Fomalhaut.

I remembered a spell that I learned in the magic academy specifically for storing things. I was unsure if I could try that on Fomalhaut so I used a small rock as a test object. I chanted the spell, the rock dissolved in fire sparks. When I used the summoning spell again, the rock appeared in the same way it disappeared. I was pleased. I could now take Fomalhaut with me wherever I go.

My next object was to go to the library to see if I can find any resources on the condition that Queen Juno was dealing with. I didn't want her to perish as she was a good queen. I can see how those around her would suffer in pain once she passes. I cannot let that happen. I must find a way to stop it before it gets out of hand. With that, I started my journey to the library in hopes to search for a solution to cure the Queen.

-------------------------------------------

Author's Note

Thank you for taking your time to read this chapter! Again, this will not completely follow the canon story established from GS as I wanted happy endings for everyone. There will be angst, but I will not kill any characters just to cause pain. After all, I love Knights of the Blood arc and I sure hope GS have more lores for KoB.

Berwick finally got his Fomalhaut and Arc Ignite!!! Yay! I know, I probably made Berwick a bit OP here, but hey, he's the main character (and my favorite unit besides Vox) so I think a little main character plot armor wouldn't hurt.

That's basically it! Thank you again for reading and I'll see you in the next chapter!