Chapter 2: The Crimson Marksman

When I came to, I was in my room. I stared at the ceiling wondering what had happened the night before. I remembered that I was in the forest fighting some monsters who were trying to sneak up on me. I recalled running out of strength due to overusing my arts. Then it struck me. Someone had saved me before I was torn to pieces. And that person was none other than Vox.

I sat up suddenly. If he brought me home, how does he know where I live? I mean, I lived alone. I barely talk to anyone and not a lot of people know where I live. How would he know?

I glanced at the weather outside. It was quite sunny and from the direction of the shadows being casted, I knew that it was already noon time. I swiftly brushed my hair (it was a hassle consider I had long hair) and dashed out of the door. On my way to the riverbank, I stopped by the bakery to get something to fill my stomach before resuming on my hurried mission. I didn't want to miss the chance to talk to Vox and to become one of the Templars.

While running with the bread in my mouth, I wondered why my mind was so set on becoming a Juno Templar. Maybe protecting Granadia was one of the reasons. But there had to be more than one. Could it be my newly discovered admiration for Vox?

Finally, I arrived at my destination. I was out of breath as I stopped for a break. However, I wasted no time in trying to find the place I was lurking yesterday. To my relief, I didn't forget.

I snuck behind the bush again, but to my surprise, I did not see the other Templars. But rather, her majesty Queen Juno. She seemed to be in some kind of trance as dark aura surrounded her. She gave a pained cry, more darkness emitted from her. Sharp thorns suddenly began to poke out from the ground. My hand flew to my mouth as I stiffled a gasp. I must be quiet. Because I was witnessing something that no one was supposed to see.

"Queen Juno!" A familiar voice rang from a different part of the bush. I turned my gaze to see Vox rushing to her side with an worried expression. "What is the meaning of this?"

Her majesty only smiled softly and shook her head. She signaled for him to stand as far away as possible lest she hurt him. Vox stood frozen in place, dumbfounded.

After what seemed like an eternity, the thorns began to disappear and the eerie aura was slowly dissolving. Below her gown, a pile of red and sticky substance could be seen.

"Queen Juno....." Vox trailed off. Her majesty turned her face to him, her smile was sad and gentle. "I'm afraid that I don't have long to live......"

Vox was about to say something until she noticed my presence and called me out. "Whoever that's hiding behind that bush, you may come out now."

I jolted. I wasn't sure if I should. But I thought better of it and made my presence known. "I apologize for eavesdropping your highness." I bowed my head low, keeping my eyes on the ground. I heard her footsteps coming closer until she was in front of me. I closed my eyes. I was sure that I was going to be in trouble for snooping around like I did. But instead, I felt a soft but strong touch on my shoulder.

"If my memory served me right, you're Berwick right?"

My head shot up. I stared at her stupendously. How did she know?

A small curve played at the corner of her mouth as she continued. "Your grandfather had told me a lot about you. What would you say working under me? I heard that you're very gifted with fire magic."

I was once again stumped. The ruler of Granadia, the Queen herself, asked me, a nobody, to work under her name as one of the Juno Templars. It was way too much information for my mind to process.

"Well?" She asked, a twinkle played in her eyes. "I.... I'm honored to!" I had finally managed to find my voice somehow.

She let out a giggle. Then her expression solemn. "But here comes the hard part. You must display the strength of your power. I want to see the burn of your flames myself. Not just your grandfather's boast of you."