35. Acid

Jaiden and Toni spent most of Sunday speaking with the other officers and hospital staff.  What was more alarming was that they did not find a body.  It seemed like the killer had a 2-week rotation, but he decided to torment Jaiden on this rotation instead.  The security around the hospital became tighter with frequent visits from the precinct. 

The people's concern touched him, but he soon hated it.  The introvert inside him just wanted to spend his time in silence and brood.  In addition to the traffic, he and Toni found it impossible to keep the ordeal quiet from Valeria and Gloria.

Jaiden soon wished for new painkillers for the growing headache caused by the influx of people.  But he only smiled and greeted the people he needed to.

He felt like he was crawling out of his skin and begged to be released every time he saw a doctor or nurse pass by.  He was denied each time because they found he had a higher dose of morphine the night before and wanted to ensure he didn't have adverse effects.  He had to accept another night in the damned hospital. 

At least he had Toni this time, and they set up a cot in the room for him. Their sleep wasn't peaceful, not in the least, but they were thankful that it was an uneventful night.

Monday was equally uneventful, but the stress Jaiden was feeling was amplified.  His sleep was restless, and he gave up trying to close his eyes altogether.  

The hospital finally relented and allowed him to go home with strict conditions and instructions, including wearing the uncomfortable sling.  Toni immediately drove him home, locked up the house, and held him close in their bed.   Many would have assumed that he and Toni would be celebrating his return home; however, it was spent trying to calm and soothe Jaiden.  

The anniversary of Carlos' death was the following day.  Unfortunately, Jaiden's nightmares and panic attacks were at their all-time high.  However, instead of waking up screaming like he used to, he would hold on to Toni.  Toni would embrace him tightly and rub his back, comforting him through each attack.

It was another long and restless night, but the dark void of depression didn't overtake Jaiden.  He woke up on Tuesday, knowing he now had gone two years without his mentor but felt calm.  Toni woke up with him and kissed his forehead.  

"Morning, mi sol.  You want to have another day in bed with me?" Toni greeted him while brushing his hair out of his eyes.

Jaiden chuckled.  "I was actually thinking of going into the office today."

Toni faltered and gave Jaiden a concerned look.  "Today?  I mean, not only are you injured, but today is..."

Jaiden nodded, knowing that Toni was hesitant because of the anniversary. "I know.  But I need to be do something, and nothing sounds better than doing the job Carlos loved with the person I love."

Toni pressed his forehead against Jaiden's and sighed. "I get it, I do.  But if I agree to this, I want you to swear that you are one hundred percent open and honest with me today.  If you need to go home, we go home."

Jaiden could have easily gone back down to Las Cruces with Valeria and her children, or he could have holed up in his room, and no one would say anything against him.

But he was determined to live normally today—another day with a little less pain than the year before.

Jaiden entered the precinct with the sling he had cursed all morning. The other officers warmly welcomed him back with a cheer or a pat on the back.  There were some wolf whistles when Toni placed his hand on Jaiden's back.