Chapter 5

V was in the living room helping Bec with her homework. I watched them for a minute. V was a human, too. Even though it seemed like she had all the answers, she was just a human, like my dad, like me. It made me feel better.

"Hey V," my voice cracked.

"Hey, Ollie. How are you feeling?" V warmly smiled.

"Pretty terrible," I admitted.

"Well, someone let you have a milkshake before noon," she laughed.

"What? You went for milkshakes without me?" Becca protested.

"Next time, Bec," V offered as she pulled herself up from the couch. "Ollie, you want to help me make some peppermint tea? It will help your stomach."

"Sure." She was making it too easy. Didn't she get that being nice made it worse?

I followed V to the kitchen and watched as she set the kettle.

"I don't think it's the milkshake making me feel like crap," I sighed. "I'm really sorry I told you to fuck off; I didn't mean it."

"Are you sure?" V asked as she leaned against the counter. "You were pretty convincing at the moment."

"I thought I meant it, but I didn't... I don't. I know I'm lucky to have you and that my dad has you... even if you're just friends."

"Ollie, you have to drop this." V's strength crumbled.

"He told me he's in love with you," I blurted. "Just now, upstairs, he said he would always be in love with you."

"Well, that's helpful," V murmured to herself.

"I know you love him too," I added.

"Ollie, next to you and your sister, there is no one in this world I love more than your dad. That's why we can't be more than friends."

"That makes no sense," my voice was piquing with anger again.

"Ollie, please trust me; it makes sense," V pleaded.

I sighed, knowing I wasn't getting anywhere. "Fine, I'm sorry I told you to fuck off, but I think you're wrong, and I think that your decision affects more than just you and my dad. It affects Becca and me, too." I swiveled on my heel and charged up to my room to stew.

My dad's knock was a bit more forceful this time.

"Why, Ollie?" He asked from the door.

"Why not!" I screamed.

"Ollie, this is none of your business." He didn't enter my room; he just stayed leaning against my door frame.

"It is too my business. This affects me. You could be happy; V could be happy."

"What makes you think we're so miserable?" My dad's head cocked at me out of curiosity.

"Because you have to be." I couldn't lower my voice from a scream.

"I'm not miserable. V isn't miserable. Right now, the only miserable one is you. Honestly, it's like you want us to be miserable with you."

"That's not true." I slumped to my bed.

"Okay, well, we're going to watch a movie. If you want to join us, you're welcome, but you have to drop the matchmaker vibe because it's very uncool."

"You can't tell me I'm uncool. You're uncool."

"Honey, I'm just calling it as I see it. Right now, this whole throwing tantrums, telling people you love to fuck off, telling people how they need to act is very uncool. It's not who I raised. Unless someone is getting hurt, you can't tell people how to live their life or who to love."