Chapter 14

September 5, 2021, 9:37am

Waking up with a warm body spooned around his was nice. No, more than nice, Blair decided, turning his head slightly to look at Matt. Matt's arm tightened around Blair's chest and he mumbled something in his sleep. Blair smiled to himself. He raised a hand to touch his lover's rough cheek.

Matt stirred, snuggling closer to Blair. Blair turned to kiss his cheek and Matt sleepily tilted his head up, offering his mouth. Blair kissed him deeply, loving the simple trust in that gesture. He raised himself up a little, sliding his arms around Matt's body, kissing along his unshaven jaw line, down to the pulse point in his neck. He felt Matt respond and began to hump slowly against his thigh.

Matt groaned. "God, look at the time."

"Oh, no, baby, please..."

"We have to get up..."

"Man, I am up..."

"Blair..."

He groaned. "Okay, okay." Reluctantly, Blair rolled onto his back, letting Matt get up. He glanced at the clock: it read 09:36. Oh, hell, Matt was right. Time to get out of bed.

He stayed where he was, though, clasping his hands behind his head and watching Matt move around the room. He obsessed about the way the light caught the highlights in Matt's hair. Gorgeous.

Was this love? Naomi would tell him, If you're not sure, Sweetie, the answer is no. Then again, Naomi was wrong about a lot of things. Blair felt more for this man than he could remember feeling for anyone before.

Matt wanted Blair to meet his parents that evening. Blair had agreed, but he was nervous about the meeting. He wondered if he was expected to return the favour. He wondered how Matt would react to Naomi.

"You're looking serious," Matt commented, fastening his bath robe.

Blair shrugged. "Just stressing about tonight."

"Nervous?" Matt sat down on the edge of the bed, leaning over Blair. "It's not like we're announcing our engagement. I just want them to meet the guy I've been talking about for the past three weeks."

Blair shook himself. "Man, you must think I'm crazy."

Matt grinned. "A little. My kind of crazy." His expression became serious. "Um. About tonight. Don't be too surprised if mom wants to talk about Tania. She's still...broken up."

As was Matt, though he hid it well. Blair reached up, caressing Matt's neck. "Your whole family is. I feel like I'm intruding."

"No. You're family too."

*

"There he is." Morgan nodded toward the door of 852 Prospect.

He and Prentiss were in a bureau SUV across the street when Ellison, dressed for exercise, left the apartment building. Ellison gave no sign he knew they were there. He walked about twenty metres before he crossed the road and then broke into a run, heading down the hill.

Morgan started the car and followed Ellison at a discreet distance. Ellison was too smart to lead them to evidence, but at least if they stayed on him no one would get hurt. The killer they were looking for was a housecleaner and Morgan vividly remembered cases with similar profiles. Sixty eight victims in Kansas City. More than a hundred abducted from Detroit and murdered at that pig farm in Canada. So far they had less than twenty victims in Cascade, but a housecleaner would not stop killing until he was stopped. If Ellison was stalking his next victim, Morgan intended to be there to stop him.