Chapter 18

December 23, 2021 (Four Months Later)

It was by no means the first time Simon had visited the prison. Before he made captain, he had been out here two or three times a year, on work-related business. This was, however, the first time he came out here to visit a friend.

Simon submitted patiently to the routine search, but because he was a cop and wasn't going further than the visitation room they let him keep his gun. He followed the guard through the corridors, wondering what kind of reception he was going to get. Would Jim even agree to see him? Simon's testimony in court had not helped Jim's case. He had tried to soften it, but what could he do? The facts were the facts.

There were two other people in the visitors' room, as well as the inevitable guards. A woman in a bright yellow dress sat opposite a prisoner at least twice her age. Probably her father, Simon guessed. There were six booths with the glass-screen and telephone arrangement that was becoming standard in prisons. It enabled a visitor to talk with a prisoner in privacy (or at least the appearance of it) but eliminated any possibility of direct contact. Simon selected a booth as far from the others as possible and sat down.

He didn't wait long before the door opened on the prison side and Jim walked in. He seemed surprised to see Simon.

Jim did not look good. Dark circles under his eyes betrayed lack of sleep. There was a cut on his chin that was probably (hopefully) from shaving with a poor blade. More than that, there was something about the way he moved, even just crossing the room, that told Simon there was something wrong. Perhaps that was only to be expected.

Jim sat down and picked up the receiver on his side. Simon did the same.

"Hi." Jim's tone was perfectly neutral.

"How are you doing?" Simon asked. It was a lame beginning, but his concern was genuine. Whatever else Jim had done, he saved Simon's life more than once. Hell, he saved his son's life. Simon wasn't about to abandon his friend completely.

Jim shrugged. "Prison food sucks. Other than that I guess I'm okay. How is...everyone?"

Simon sighed. "Joel handed me his resignation."

Jim's eyes widened. "From the force?"

"That was his plan, yeah. IA offered him a promotion to join their team. He might accept it. Right now he's taking an extended leave."

Jim nodded, but didn't ask the obvious question: had Joel resigned because of him. Perhaps the answer was equally obvious.

"I hear the trial isn't going so well."

Jim hesitated, an odd smile fleeting across his lips. "Depends which side you're on."

"Do you have to ask?"

"That wasn't a question. I heard your testimony, Simon. You could have said a whole lot more."

Simon felt his tension ease. He should have known Jim would understand. "I told the truth," he said simply.

Jim nodded. "Yes, you did."

"Jim, I came because Maury Stirling called me." Stirling was Jim's attorney. "He asked me to testify on your behalf at your sentencing."

Jim's nod confirmed this wasn't news to him. He said nothing.

"It seemed...odd. Or at least premature. The trial isn't over yet."

"They're not going to acquit me, Simon. You know that."

Unfortunately Simon did. "You told Stirling I'd testify? What is it you expect me to say?"