The Damned Blog

Eyes on The Damned Blog

Post title: Murder in the Hood – 4 questions the police can't answer

Post date: 4 August 2009

Blog category: Retrospectives

Tags: unsolved crimes, murder, serial killer?

In January 2005, Manuel Lamarche was murdered in what police at the time described as an execution-style shooting. His body was discovered by the driver of a garbage truck, half-buried in snow on the sidewalk outside a storage unit in the downtown area.

Lamarche was a petty crook with previous convictions for burglary and vehicular theft. Police sources confirm he was also suspected of dealing in crack cocaine. Perhaps this is why the investigation into his death was so sloppy. He was a low-life caught in the territory of a rival gang - he should have expected to take a beating.

But Eye on Cascade has uncovered a number of unanswered questions about this unsolved murder.

Why was this case dismissed as gang violence when the only sign of violence was the bullet that killed him? A typical gang execution would have begun with a beating.

Why was no attention paid to the unusual murder weapon: a .45 caliber revolver. Regular readers take note: a revolver leaves behind no shell casings, making the weapon much more difficult for police to trace.

Why was the bullet the only physical evidence ever logged?

Why was no arrest ever made in this case?

Eye on Cascade put these questions to the original investigating officer, Lieutenant Joel Taggert of CPD Major Crimes division. For a full account of Eye on Cascade's investigation, read our full report.

Next week Eye on Cascade throws the spotlight on an unsolved murder from 2005 – CPD forensics expert Ryan Frazer.

Shared by 1539 readers. Share this?

Comments (21)

....