3

sunoo walked down the halls, hastily, trying to get to his photography class on time. indeed he was late and he has been a few times this semester but this time was different.

[flashback]

"what do i get if i win, sun?"

"well what do you want?" sunoo looked at ni-ki confused about ni-ki's earlier action and why the fuck were they this close.

"hm if i win—" ni-ki pretended to think when in reality he thought about this over a thousand times already . okay well since he asked mentioned the dare but that's still a pretty long time

"—you have to accompany me to the new café that just opened down the street" 

"is that all? is that my punishment for losing?" sunoo laughed hysterically. ni-ki stepped back, scratching the back of his neck nervously.

"sure. whatever. its not like you're going to win anyway"

lie. sunoo knew damn well that ni-ki was going to win and he would definitely have to go to the café with him but it wasn't so bad.

"nuh uh, not so fast. you have to pay for everything i order" ni-ki finished with a smirk on his face, acting like he just won the dare.

still, not a bad dare. sunoo was expecting ni-ki to make him do some weird dance in front of the assembly or something but he to his luck he didn't.

"seems easy enough" 

[flashback ended]

the conversation rang in his ears like an ongoing siren. it seemed like some kind of date and the thought sent a foreign feeling in sunoo's tummy, not a good one.

it isn't a date, not possible. ni-ki doesn't even see him in that way. then why did he ask to go to a café of all places?

sunoo slapped his face, waking himself up. sprinting across the empty football field to his class.

come on sunoo, it could have have been an amusement part for fucks sake. so chill, he scolded himself

◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻

"i wanted to ask him to an amusement park" ni-ki sat next to jake, telling him what happened yesterday in the classroom.

"it's good that you didn't. he would've been too suspicious"

"i know" ni-ki hung his head low, he felt bad for asking sunoo to pay for what he will order but he really wasn't ready for sunoo to figure out his feelings just yet.

"you need to let loose a little ni-ki" heeseung dragged an empty chair and sat in front of the blonde-haired.

"he won't. he's been like this since high school" jake informed him of how adamant ni-ki is when it comes to love and well may be its just worse than he thought.

"you know?" 

"who wouldn't? you're too obvious, ni-ki" heeseung let out a light chuckled and propped his head into his palm. his eyes shifted from ni-ki to jake who was busy typing into his phone with a smile on his face.

"who are you talking to?" heeseung's voice changed from light hearted to a little serious but jake didn't notice.

"sunghoon, why?" jake finished typing and looked up at heeseung who was already looking back at him.

"okay."

"heeseung hyung" jungwon approached the older, draping his hands over his shoulder, breaking him out of a little trance "i heard they are serving ice cream today in the cafeteria, let's get two scoops?" jungwon asked showing his two fingers with a bright smile spreading across his face.

"can you run that fast? people who get two scoops are usually the first five people there" 

"that's why i have you!" jungwon smiled brightly and then looked at jake and ni-ki "what's wrong with ni-ki? he looks like shit" 

"oh, its nothing new then" jake added with a chuckle and the other two joined the laughter. ni-ki who had his earphones plugged in, didn't hear.

"jakey" heeseung tapped the boy's shoulder, making him look up into heeseung confused gaze "don't you have physics now?" 

"shit, yeah" jake cursed himself and scrambled to his feet, taking his bag and his phone, turning on his heels to ni-ki and leaned closer to him "life is all about taking risks buddy" he patted his friend's shoulder and left.

"thanks heeseung hyung, see you later and you too jungwon-ah" jake waved off and jungwon's eyes followed heeseung's who was stuck at the door when jake disappeared. his smile faltered a little and took his seat in front of heeseung's.

"when will you notice me hyung?"

◻◻◻◻◻◻◻◻

"the competition is tomorrow, you ready my guy?" jake sat at ni-ki's desk in his dorm. they initially planned to go out and get some drinks but ni-ki was working on a project and that's how jake ended up here, not having anything else to do.

"my portrait is pretty much done" ni-ki looked over to the large canvas covered in a white cloth. jake being the curious puppy he is, went to it and took off the sheet.

"jake don't—" ni-ki was obviously late in his attempt to stop jake but the latter was impressed to say the least.

"damn, this is a masterpiece" jake stared in awe at the portrait before him. the shading, contrast everything that jay knew about art, which was not much, it was perfectly done.

"thanks hyung" ni-ki threw on a black hoodie, humbly accepting the compliment "do you think it will be  good enough to win?"

"more than good enough, you could win some kind of nobel prize in art for this"

ni-ki snickered at jake's senseless choice of words. he worked really hard on this piece. sleepless nights and all. why? because he just wants to have one day with sunoo to himself, just one.

suddenly, ni-ki's door flew open and in walked in sunoo. jake quickly covered the piece and stood in front of it.

"hey, you can't burst into my dorm like this" ni-ki accused him but he looked anything but annoyed, more nervous of sunoo seeing his artwork and shaming on it again or worse yet destroying it.

"it's a free world. anyway jakey, heeseung hyung islooking for you" sunoo delivered the message to him and the latter nodded still not moving from his position.

"are you not going or–" sunoo asked taking note of jake's weird movements "wait–what's that behind you?" sunoo noticed a little bit of the drawing peeking out of the half covered canvas.

"n-nothing" jake stuttered, fuck he wanted to throw himself out the window at this point. he looked at ni-ki helpless who only gave him back a hurried look.

"is this ni-ki artwork for the competition tomorrow?" sunoo's voice raised a pitch higher in realization and a laugh erupted his throat "i can't believe you finished it"

"please don't touch it" ni-ki approached him and clasped his hands together, begging the boy in front of him. the shameless act surprised sunoo, never has he seen ni-ki so desperate about an artwork so he complied.

"fine i won't but prepare to lose tomorrow. my vote is definitely not going for you"

"i don't need it anyway" ni-ki replied in his usual remarks after taking sunoo's word that he won't touch his artwork.

sunoo simply rolled his eyes "jake you coming? let's leave the artist to finish his work" sunoo spared one last glance at ni-ki, unsure as to if his words affected ni-ki or was he just nervous for tomorrow judging by the look on his face.

"i'm sorry bud. good luck tomorrow! we'll have celebratory drinks after you win okay?" jake reassured him and left with sunoo.

"i'm fucked"

.

a/n: i'm curious. who are you guys' bias?