Chapter 2

The Next Day

"Hey, Sonia!" Leon called out to his childhood friend sitting on the blanket on the grass. Sonia giggled. Leon hadn't seen Sonia in a while, and he'd forgotten how pretty she was. Raihan wasn't there yet, so it was just them. "Remember when we were young and Raihan was just a little crazy person, trying to catch every Pokémon he saw?" Sonia laughed. "He seems so subdued around you now. Do you know what's going on?" Leon blushed. He'd hoped to avoid this talk until at least Raihan got here and Sonia could take it up with him. He stuttered "Uhh- we just- I..." while searching for an answer. Luckily, the crunching in the grass behind him gave him an excuse to turn around. "I guess that's Raihan then—what?"

Raihan didn't usually think much about his appearance before leaving the house. A comfy head wrap and sweatshirt, plus black shorts, were what he wore almost every day. But today he would be meeting Leon and Sonia, and he had to look his best, even if he didn't know why. It took him an hour to do his normally scrappy hair which he usually hid under his head wrap anyway. Even then, the suit took him extra time to find, put on, and smooth the wrinkles out of. The final product was quite ravishing, if he did say so himself. Would it be good enough for Leon?

What was he thinking? Leon was his friend. He didn't need to be good enough. Still, the underlying desire remained. Raihan shook his head and left. Nobody recognized him, because nobody ever saw him with fancy wear on. He took the train to Turffield because the flying taxi would ruffle his suit. As he saw the two chatting like they had been friends forever, he wondered if he should just leave. But Leon heard him and turned around. No going back now.

"What are you wearing? You look like you're going to a business dinner! I didn't even know you could go without your head wrap!" Sonia giggled. Leon turned red. Sure, Raihan was a bit overdressed, but the suit was handsome and tailored well. He looked very refined. Leon couldn't bring himself to say anything about the suit or Raihan's looks, but he patted a spot on the blanket and told Raihan to sit down. Sonia kept talking about her job as a Pokémon professor's apprentice, which luckily kept the subject away from the strange tension between Raihan and him. It was interesting, too. There was apparently an ancient Galarian legend that told of two heroes who stopped the Darkest Day with a sword and shield that had something to do with the murals in Stow-on-Side. He'd have to talk to Bea about coming to visit.

Raihan blushed the entire time. What was he thinking? Of course, Leon wouldn't care and Sonia would just laugh at him. He didn't know what to do, so he watched Leon and Sonia talk. Well, mostly Sonia. Leon just listened with kind interest. It was cool how Sonia got to travel across Galar to find out about the legends of old, even if it was just homework for her Gran. He'd have to see if he could get a vacation, but gyms took a lot of time. Leon got so much time off, but a Champion got whatever he wanted. Raihan thought back to Hop's words. Maybe Leon really did have a lady Trainer tucked away somewhere.

Leon enjoyed talking with Sonia, but he wished Raihan would join in. After going through all the effort to get there, he just sat and watched them talk. Sonia noticed too. "Rai, what's up? You good?" she said. Raihan started at the use of his childhood nickname. "Y...yeah, I'm fine," he said. "Just... thinking. Hey, Leon? Do you... like anybody?" Leon flinched. H had to know, right? "Uh no, I'm too busy to go out much," he replied quickly, a little too quickly. Sonia looked at him weird, but quickly gave him and Raihan a poffin each. They were stamped with 'Kanto Original Strawberry Poffin'. Sonia said, "I got them from Kanto. Hope you like it." Leon bit into the sweet poffin and smiled. He knew that it would cheer him up.

Raihan ate the poffin in one bite to mask his embarrassment. Why did he say that? Leon was obviously uncomfortable with him asking. He sighed. At least the poffin was sweet. He opened his mouth to speak at the same time Sonia did. He quickly closed it at the same time she did. "You first, professor," Raihan said. Sonia smiled. "Not a professor yet, but anyway. I want to show Leon something back at my apartment. I figure Rai can come along too, if he wants." She winked. Raihan inwardly cringed at the use of his nickname again, but he nodded. If it would ease the tension, he'd go along with it.

(A/N) Sorry for the short chapter, the next one will most likely be over 1200 words. This is my first fanfic and a very short story so enjoy it while it lasts!