Lost and Found

Poppy for the second time in her life, was alone. She always had her friends, her self made family with her, taking it upon herself to befriend as many lonely, desperate trolls as she could since the death of her father. It had almost broken her and like many other trolls who had lost a loved one in this apocalyptic world she'd turned grey. It lasted for a solid week, but it felt like an eternity.  It had been the lowest point of her life until she happened upon a group of trolls trapped in a small shop. It suddenly gave her focus, she set off an emergency flare she'd found on an abandoned police bike and kicked over a trash can to gain the pack of zombies attention. Drawn to the noise the undead trolls raced toward it.

Poppy had long since ran from the alleyway unseen and skirted the street till she gained access to the store. Seeing the relief on their faces had reignited Poppy's joy and gave her a purpose all in one shot. She would save as many trolls that she could and ultimately lead them to a safe haven in this zombie infested world. They had travelled the country looking for such a place but nothing they came across had been appropriate. However about a year ago a rumour met their ears of a wondrous place that was safe from the undead menace. A place known only as Trollstopia.

So for that past year they'd been searching for clues for the whereabouts of this place. It was what had drawn Poppy and her closest friends to this town, supplies and a clue. However, three zombie dodges later, there were no friends, no supplies and no clue. Poppy's methods of escaping zombies were basically distraction and running. She never lifted a weapon to these monsters which were once living breathing trolls just like everyone else. It wasn't their fault what had happened to them. No kill policy. That was her viewpoint and despite her current situation she was pretty sure that would never change.

She crept alongside an alley wall having got totally turned around on the last distraction. Her friends went one way aaaaand... she went the other. Poppy was honestly totally lost, how many alleys did one small town have?! It was like a rabbit warren! All she was trying to do was find a way out of town and she was quite sure she was nowhere near the outskirts.

Poppy's fingers grazed across the brickwork as she crept along, her ears twitching as she listened for any form of sound. She was reasonably sure she'd given the last group of infected the slip but this being a town there was always bound to be more of them. She was just about to peer about the corner at the street beyond when an errant static crackle erupted from the radio clipped to the back of her belt.

Poppy gasped and immediately snatched it, pressing herself flat against the wall. She raised the radio to her ear and attempted to block the sound as a familiar voice buzzed through the speaker. "Poppy! Come in! Are you there?!"

A guttural growl echoed from nearby and Poppy's heart almost stopped. Oh dear hair that sounded close. Too close.

"Not a good time Smidge!" She hissed back.

"Poppy where are you?! Tell us where you are, we'll come get you!"

"No! No! Don't, I'll find you!" She squeaked. "Get back to the others, I'll call you when I can!"

The growls got closer and Poppy felt her hands tremble and fumbled in her shoulder bag for her salvaged flares.

"Poppy! No! Wait! What's wrong?"

"I call you when I can Smidge! Just get everyone to safety!"

"Poppy wai-!"

Poppy switched off the radio with a gulp of regret. She pulled out her second to last flare and looked behind her. A shambling yellow zombie staggered against the wall, about twenty feet away, groaning with faded eyes fixed upon her. She quickly realised the reason for the creature's slow progress, it's left foot was missing, bare bone jutting from the congealed bloody stump. Poppy swallowed her bile and backed away. She may not have to use her precious flares if she could outrun this zombie, however another step back and snarl met her ears. A glance to her right greeted her with a much more mobile assailant. A zombie that looked like he was on his way to the office when he got infected and apparently lost an arm in the process.