Chapter Five

I lied awake trying to sleep. Cinder-star told me how it went and they would leave early tomorrow. I asked her to wake me up if I wasn't already awake when they were leaving. I had to say goodbye to my kits and my sister and her mate before they left. I was worried that Poppy-tail and Finch-star had a trick up their pelt and it would have a bad effect. I snuggled closer to Ice-tail and shut my eyes.

"Wake up lazy furball." Cinder-star's meow had surprised me.
"Good morning sunshine." I said sarcastically remembering the first morning we had spent in this den.
"Hi mom." Brindle-cloud said. She was unaware of the dangers she would face, but I couldn't have her not go. She needed to go even though I didn't want her to. Rain-feather and Flame-shower came in too.
"Hi." Flame-shower said.
"Hi." I got up and stretched. "Did you eat and drink enough?"
"I didn't drink because I wasn't thirsty." Rain-feather said.
"You don't know when you'll find some fresh water again so make sure you get a drink." I told her.
"I should go get some food then." Brindle-cloud said. "Bye mom."
"Who said I was going back to bed?" I said. "I woke up and now I am hungry."
"Who said food?" Ice-tail woke up quickly.
We laughed.
"So, Cinder-star we might have to bring in a few more cats, at this time we are very vulnerable with many kits and queens." I told her.
"And by cats you mean kitty-pets." She said.
"And loners and barn cats." Ice-tail said.
"I am fine with that, I just hope that they protect my sister good enough." Cinder-star grinned down at me.
"I can take care of myself better than a kitty-pet, I was saying that in sympathy of Ice-tail." I said.
"Hey!" Ice-tail said drowsily.
Ice-tail, Skipp-tail, Cinder-star and our kits went out to eat one last meal together before they had to leave. My belly twitched from my kits inside. I knew I would have them today or tomorrow because I felt the same way as I did with my first litter. We would have to send a patrol to the kitty-pet place soon before I had my kits.
"I think we need a patrol to get some more cats today." I said to Ice-tail.
"Maybe Goose-feather and Lilly-river know anymore places where some cats live." Flame-shower said.
"I will ask them later when they wake up." Ice-tail said.
Pebble-foot walked in camp with a few other ShadowClan and RiverClan warriors. I would have never have imagined those two clans forming an alliance. I wished I could go. I felt the pull of wanting to explore like I did as a kit. I was worried for Cinder-star, she did have all nine lives, but even that couldn't save herself from the power of Poppy-tail. I knew his alliance was strong. Stronger than anyone could predict.
I hoped my kits would be alright and Cinder-star's. I nuzzled my kits one last time and licked them on the head. I watched them leave and disappear into the pinkish skies.
"So do you want to come with our patrol to the barn?" Ice-tail asked.
"Yes, I need to know what soft hearted kitty pets are coming in my clan." I joked.
"You sure you can?" He wanted to make sure that I was safe. I was glad he was worried. I found it kind of cute.
"Come on, let's go talk to Goose-feather." I said urging him.
We walked in the den where the elders were. Lilly-river was awake and Goose-feather must've just gotten up. The den was a little chilly, it needed more protection, since the green leaf was coming to an end after a few moons.
"Hi, guys." I said.
"What do you need?" Lilly-river perked up.
"As you know, we are heading to two-leg place and we were wondering if any more cats lived at that barn except you guys." I told them.
"There were over two cats, like way over two." Goose-feather said.
"How much exactly?" Ice-tail asked.
"Over, two, can you count any higher?" I asked dryly.
"Sorry, I forgot." Ice-tail flattened his ears.
"Don't worry, I made that mistake lots of times." Goose-feather said. "You know back in my day when I was a young little fella...."
"Bye, we need to go now, we can hear your story later." Ice-tail cut him off as we walked briskly out.
"That was a close one." I said.
"Too close." Ice-tail said shaking his head. "Much too close."