Chapter One

"Is everyone ready for our trip to the mountains?" Cinder-star asked.
"Yes." I said quickly. We had to move fast so we could get the kits some milk.
"Who said that I wasn't pretty for the mountain cats?" Ice-tail said.
"Why do you need to be pretty?" I said dryly.
"Maybe there is a boy I have a crush on." Ice-tail said.
"Just go." I said.
"I can't wait to see the mountains again, they are so pretty." My kit Brindle-cloud sighed.
"You've been there once and that was to take the lion kits to safety." I said.
"Still, I love the big pine trees and the ones without any leaves with snow all over them." Brindle-cloud bounced.
My kit Brindle-cloud had went with us on our journey because her sister had went on a patrol and Flame-shower was with his other friend and Frog-paw had been training. At least her sister's patrol ended up coming with us. We were on the border. While the patrol renewed the scent markers, the rest of us went up on the rocky path. I jumped from rock to rock, until their camp was in sight. The leader came towards me.
"Oh. Hello Wolf-star it is good to see you again, I hope everything is going nicely in your clan." He said truthfully.
"Well, we have two newborn kits and their mother and siblings died in the most horrible birth and we wanted to know if you have any queens that can nurse them for a few moons." I said sadly.
"I am very sorry for your clan's loss, if you don't mind may we attend vigil tomorrow tonight?"
"Yes you can, and back to my first question." I said.
"Sorry, Wolf-star, we do have two queens that are nursing, one has only one kit after losing the other one, I will ask her." He said.
I waited and looked at the camp. It was one big cave, the rocks were completely covered in moss except the edge of the tiny little stream. The river was dark. 'It must be pretty at moon high.' I thought absentmindedly. I missed the gatherings. There was another clan that we had a good relationship with, maybe we could...
"Hi Wolf-star, I heard you needed a cat to nurse the kits." I heard a she-cat's voice.
"Hi, yeah we have two kits that are newborns.
"I would love to help them." She said. "And my name is Feather-fall."
"Pretty name, I actually have a kit named Rain-feather." I said.
"I just have to get my kit." She said and went in the cave.
I saw the leader talking to an apprentice. I called Cinder-star over.
"What?" She asked.
"Do you miss the gatherings we would have at moon high?" I asked.
"You want to ask the leader to recreate the gatherings we would have." She said.
"I know it was a stupid idea." I sighed disappointed.
"No I love it, let me tell him." She bounced up and ran over towards him.
"Cinder-star, he thinks you are going to attack." I called as I saw him fluff up his fur.
She stopped before she bumped into him.
"From now on Wolf-star, when you get a good idea for our clan or I do, you should tell them." She said.
"Okay." I said smiling a little.
I watched the leader nod occasionally. He had a nice look on his face so maybe he wanted to do a gathering. He and his clan would be here anyways. Cinder-star turned around quickly and ran over to me.
"He said yes, and that he would have a gathering tomorrow tonight!" She mewed.
"That is great." I mewed. "I think we should go now."
"And one more thing." She added.
"What?" I said.
"He said when they get there that they need to learn about StarClan." She said quietly.
I sighed. That was not going to be that easy, at least everyone in our clan knew about StarClan. But, they had there own beliefs already. I guess they'll either accept it or they won't. Gatherings weren't just about StarClan.
"I am ready." Feather-fall had her kit dangling from her mouth.
"I can carry him, if you get tired." I volunteered.
"Thanks Wolf-star." She said through a mouthful of kit.
When we got down the mountain and about halfway I carried the kit. It felt weird to have a little kit in my mouth while seeing my other kits in front of me.
"What is your name?" I asked the kit.
"I am Stumpy-kit." He squeaked.
I felt the kit squirm around. He clearly wanted to walk, but the trail was much too rough for a kit to walk safely. There were tree roots that jutted out, chunks of slippery ice, steep drop offs, holes under moss or leaves, and I have heard wolves howling at night. It was probably a lone wolf, one rogue cat and his mate and kits that Cinder-star and I met on our traveling days told us how to tell a lone wolf howl from a pack one. He also taught us how to build dens, skin rabbits, fish and a bunch of other cool things.
I caught a glimpse of camp when we walked over the hill.
"Is this the camp?" Feather-fall asked.
"Yes." Cinder-star said.
"We are almost there." I said.
"Thank StarClan, my paws are tired." Rain-feather said.
"I want to go hunting now." Brindle-cloud said.
"Do you ever get tired?" Rain-feather gasped.
"Not really." She mewed.
I looked at Brindle-cloud, she was always looking for a chance to help her clan. 'She wants to be deputy.' I thought. I had acted a lot like that, always looking for a chance to help my clan.
"I am going to watch the apprentice's training, you can come with me if you want." Cinder-star said.
"I am going to sleep." Rain-feather said. Everyone laughed.
"I am." She said looking innocent.
"I want to go hunting too." I said and stretched my legs.
"I will go with you." Ice-tail said.
"You can't go with me." I joked.
"Yeah I can." He pleaded.
"Nope." I said.
"You are no fair." He whined.
I leaned close to him.
"We are going hunting near the two leg place." He said.
"Eh, too far." I said.
"Come on." He nudged me.
"Well, bye Brindle-cloud and Rain-feather." I said and turned away with Ice-tail to go hunting.
"Bye mom." They called.