Chapter 3

“I know that man…” Mandy whispered, more to her self that anyone else.         

                “What, sweetie?” Her mom asked her as she slid into the parking space in front of the church.

                “Nothing…” Mandy replied absent mindedly, catching sight of the detective again as he walked across the parking lot to talk to-

                Aria. Aria Hunsinger. Great. Just the person Mandy needed to calm down with all the things going on. Mandy usually didn’t get sarcasm, but she put all her effort into making her last though as sarcastic as it could get.

                Her mom pulled her into the church before she could attempt to hear their conversation. “Look, sweetie. All these people! Go,” She pushed her forward, “Mingle with old friends!”

                Mandy pushed her glasses up nervously. Friends? It was a foreign term for her. Mingle? Wow. Today seemed to be full of new adventures. Mandy just pulled her mom into a nearby row and sat down, looking down at her hands in her lap. A few minutes later, everyone seemed to have sat down. But not before the doors swung open for the last time-

                The Harts. Of course, she should have seen it coming. Rory Hart floated by with his wife Michelle, and then Mia. Mandy cringed as she saw Mia looking gorgeous in some expensive designer dress.  Mia’s eyes narrowed as she held  her head high and observed everyone in the room making everyone feel self conscious. The Harts sat in the very front row, where the family always sits. But no one made any objection.

                “Mandy, go mingle!” Amanda’s mom prodded again, pushing her forward. The funeral had already ended, and while the tears and sadness still hung in the air, her mom was as insistent as ever to get Mandy to go ‘mingle’ with old friends. Mandy resisted.

                “No!”

                “Look! There’s that darling friend of yours Mia!” Her mom sang, calling her over. Mandy cringed. NO, NO, NO, NO. This couldn’t be happening…

                Mia turned at the sound of her name and smiled sweetly. That is- until she saw who it was. It was Amanda and her granny of a mom. Mia made a face, but reluctantly walked over to the freaks.

                “Mia! Mandy here tells me you were great friends! Here! Talk to her.” Great friends? Mia almost threw up. With this loser? God no.

                Amanda’s mom walked away quickly, leaving Mandy in all her shame.

                “Sorry about that, I don’t know what she was talking about…” Mandy started to explain. Mia quickly cut her off.

                “Ew. Don’t even talk to me you loser.” Mia replied disgusted as she inched away. Well, Mia hadn’t changed at all, Mandy thought.

                Mandy could feel the anger building up inside of her. “Listen, Mia. We’re at Kiki’s funeral, so I suggest you be respectful.”

                “Don’t call her that.” Mia said quickly, still looking disgusted.

                Mandy hesitated, “What?”

                “Don’t call her Kiki. You don’t deserve to…”

                “Excuse me? Kiki and I were friends-” Mandy began, bewildered by Mia’s bluntness.