Chapter 1

Chapter 1-Love is not free

The Beginning

Unknown POV:

Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful red-haired woman named Lady Catherine Antoinette Dubois. She came from an impoverished French noble family. Her parents never gave her the love she needed. She did not receive it or gifts. Her parents despised her because she was not like all those other girls. She always kept her red hair cut short, never wore corsets, paid no attention to boys and loved to wear her father's suits. It wasn't that she didn't pay attention to boys, she sometimes found one attractive, talked to them and danced. But in her eyes, girls were the much better match. She was enchanted by them and found them more beautiful to look at and easier to love than men. Catherine loved to capture their beauty. So she began to capture the beauty on paper with pencil. Especially the female eyes and the anatomy fascinated the young countess. Her parents were not very pleased with the Sapphic tendencies of their only daughter. So they married Catherine to a boy count named Lord Maurice Aurelius Tremaine, whom she thought she loved; two lovely daughters were given to them with the names Drizella and Anastasia. They were happy with their little family, their life of wealth and their charming mansion. Even though she now had to do and wear all those girly things. She was something like happy for the first time in her life. But the happiness did not last forever. One day Maurice became terribly ill, no one could help him not even the endless love of his wife Lady Catherine, who was now called Tremaine. He withdrew more and more, so that only servants and doctors were allowed to visit him. Neither his wife nor his little daughters ever saw him alive again. He hid in a small cold room with only a small bed and a clothes chest. Maurice did not want his family to ever see him alive like this.
Catherine accepted this and continued to take care of her daughters. She did not want him to die, because she still loved him, even though she had not been able to see him or show him her love for a year, and had doctors come from near and far. With the sole purpose of saving him so that she could hold him in her arms again.
One day an old woman, who called herself Marian, came to the young lord and his wife. She asked to be let in and claimed to have a remedy that could supposedly cure any illness, but something about this woman made Catherine hesitate. The woman's figure was dark, her skin icy and badly scarred, her gloomy and without any color. She wore only a light translucent black robe with a hood over her head that almost completely hid her face. Catherine never let her into her house because her figure caused great fear. It was as if the sight of Marian froze parts of Catherine's heart to ice every time she stood outside the gates. Every day Marian would appear and ask to be let in, but Catherine never let her in. One day, she wasn't standing outside the house. Catherine thought she had finally given up. But that wasn't the case. With each passing day, Maurice's condition grew worse and worse. He no longer even spoke to his servants. Maurice didn't even read his beloved books anymore, he just lay there. His little daughters wanted to see him every day, but they continued to be denied access. On the day Marian did not appear, the door to Maurice's room was neither locked nor barred. When the little girls realized that the door was not locked, they quickly ran to their mother and told her about it. When Catherine received this message, she thought Maurice wanted to see his family again and so she ran as fast as she could to her lover. The door to his room was open as wide as a spear and Catherine was very surprised. This was very unusual for her husband. Anxiously, she retrieved her dagger from her garter and tiptoed into her husband's current consort. She had never understood why he kept her and the children apart. But now she did, understood now. He lay on the bed, his eyes closed, his skin devoid of his typical tan on his skin and any will to live. For a brief moment he opened his dark eyes and spoke in a raspy voice, "Catherine. Don't come near me." But this time she didn't listen to his command. Tears came to her eyes at the sight. She must see him closer, it could be the last time. As she stepped closer into the room and to his bed, the only door and the small window suddenly slammed shut. Catherine winced in shock and cried out in fright. The temperature of the room suddenly plummeted. Ice flowers formed on the glass of the window, the glass of water that stood next to his bed froze into ice and began to smoke. Quickly Catherine took off her coat and put it over her lover. She bent over his frail form to warm him. Despite her own shivering, she did not leave him to his fate and death, which was literally knocking at the door. Through her own shivering she did not notice how unknown footsteps walked over the wood of the floor and came closer and closer to them.
Something grabbed Catherine by the shoulders, tore her away from Maurice and hurled her at the door. An unknown force pressed her more and more to the floor, so that she was unable to get up and save her husband from the sinister figure. The figure stood over him, watching intently as Maurice's eyes grew brighter and brighter, his lips more and more bluish, and the life more and more drained out of him. Catherine cried worse than she ever had before. She could no longer help him. All possibilities faded forever.
"Once I wanted to help you, because I love Maurice more than you ever will Catherine. You could have saved him. But now you get to watch him die in return. Isn't that refreshing," the somber woman said to Catherine, laughing shrilly.
"You're not killing him Marian. Even if it's the last thing I'll ever do!" screamed Catherine inflamed with rage and threw the knife into Marian's body despite the force that was acting on her. Startled, Marian's bright eyes widened when she saw the dagger in her stomach. She fell to the ground and with her last breaths she formed the words: "Your heart will no longer know love, everything will be taken from you so many times until you become what you deserve. The kindness you still possess will disappear until someone ever opens up to you and truly loves you despite the coldness in your heart. I am going to my death with Maurice. This is all your curse." The power that pushed Catherine down disappeared just like the cold in the room as a huge pool of blood formed under Marian's body. And the last spark of life disappeared from Maurice and Marian. A white dove appeared at the window, knocked on it and looked at Catherine for a moment and flew away. Nimble and shaky Catherine stood, stepped over the dead and looked at Maurice figure. The last tear for a long time left Catherine's eyes. She closed Maurice's eyes, kissed him one last time on his cheek, and ran from the room to her children in shock of what had happened.Her children wept terribly over the death of their beloved father, but Catherine no longer shed a single tear over his death. For as Marian said, the former coldness that reigned in the room where Maurice died now filled Catherine's heart. She no longer believed in love. All empathy and joy disappeared from her. But not only in her,

The story of her second marriage is well known. But what really happened. You will soon learn. But that's a story for another day.

----------
I'll hope you enjoy the first chapter. Pls read my another story "War of Love" too