9

9

The Maestro wasted little time once he had finished shaking hands and thanking the attendees of the concert. He grabbed the nearest servant and marched back to the changing room, Bernhard following in his wake. With orders to send the new clothing back to his home in Vienna, he dressed into his travelling clothes once more, met his 'excellency' to collect a pouch filled with money and left the immense house.

Now, he and Bernhard waited outside, shadowed in a corner of the street opposite, and watched the guests as they left. Carriages rumbled and rattled before the house and people entered them, setting off back to their homes, discussing the magic of music amongst themselves. Beethoven awaited one guest, in particular.

"Did you know he would be here?" Crouching, hand upon his sabre, Bernhard could feel an excitement begin to rise within him. "The Vampire Lord? I could have killed him there and then, had I not left my sabre in the room."

"You wouldn't have come close to him." The Maestro twirled a silver baton between his fingers, eyes that rarely blinked fixed upon the house. "I didn't know, but it's his pattern, eh? This is how he found your Hilde. And my beloved."

Bernhard's head whipped around. Yet another thing that Beethoven knew but had not told him. He spoke true. Hilde had adored music, attending as many concerts and operas as she could. Music appeared to play a large part in this Vampire Lord's repertoire. Beethoven's beloved. Bernhard's. Now, here, at a concert miles from Vienna.

He couldn't help but feel a wave of guilt wash over him. He had not attended every concert with Hilde. More often than not, she went to them alone, better able to appreciate the music without Bernhard fidgeting beside her. Instead, he would visit his club, where old cavalry colleagues congregated to drink and smoke and reminisce about battle.

If he had only accompanied Hilde more often, he could have spared her the attentions of a creature that took her soul, turning her into something other than the woman Bernhard had wished dearly to marry. That creature now stood within the house opposite and Bernhard's thirst for revenge burned within him.

"He finds his victims at concerts. Well, he shall have the lives of no more women. I swear it!" His eyes narrowed and he watched the leaving guests with an intensity that matched the Maestro's. "We take him here. Turn him to dust before he can run."

"That may not prove so easy." The Maestro pointed across the street with the baton. "He's escorting his excellency's daughter somewhere."

Indeed, the Vampire Lord, tall and regal, his black cloak accentuated with a scarlet lining, supported a young woman into the awaiting carriage, servants following, carrying trunks that they attached to the rear of the carriage. Once she had seated herself, the Vampire Lord climbed aboard and the girl leaned out of the door to kiss his excellency's hands, before settling back, a broad, excited smile upon her face.

The carriage began to trundle away, the coachman flicking his wrists to tap the horses with the extended, leather reins. The Maestro moved at the same time, moving at pace to stay as close as possible to the carriage. The coachman did not rush the journey and Bernhard felt glad for that. He didn't doubt he could follow at a run if he must, but the steady pace would tire him less.

"Very well. We wait for a darker street. Jump the carriage and kill them both." Bernhard felt the same urge for action as he had felt while at war. That cold, yet hot anticipation of impending violence. "I would not wish her fate upon my worst enemy."

"She's not turned. He hasn't taken her innocence." A hand rose to the scarf about Beethoven's throat and he appeared to speak with greater knowledge. "Not yet. We follow, for now. But keep that sabre ready. The Vampire Lord is rarely unattended."